• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unusual charger on a leather covered powder flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20240316_173322.jpg

Attachments

• 20240316_173322.jpg
    20240316_173322.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240316_173352.jpg
    20240316_173352.jpg
    973.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240316_173535.jpg
    20240316_173535.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I got this powder flask from an antiques dealer in fance.
The body is made of zinc and covered with very thin leather (molesquin?)
No indications who made it or where it was made. I guess it was made on the European continent, because the graduations on the charger are in grains.

GREAT PHOTOS FOLKS, THANKS!

Very cool, and I wonder if that was thought of as a sort of safety feature? You would be, after all, pouring from a measure, not from a tube still connected to the main powder container with only a brass barrier? True, still a little too close to the main flask for my thoughts IF you had a cook-off, but perhaps far enough depending on how it was held?

LD

GREAT PHOTOS FOLKS, THANKS!

Very cool, and I wonder if that was thought of as a sort of safety feature? You would be, after all, pouring from a measure, not from a tube still connected to the main powder container with only a brass barrier? True, still a little too close to the main flask for my thoughts IF you had a cook-off, but perhaps far enough depending on how it was held?

LD
The top itself is more or less a fireproof patent top (with outside spring), but the charger is inverted and connected to the top.
20240317_154216.jpg

Hello ALL.

As long as we are on this subject, here is a horn flask I have. I still cannot totally figure the spout on this one. It's obvious the spout can be threaded up or down for different charges of powder. But there is no way to know how many grains are in the spout for each turn of the spout. And I can't figure out what the slot on the spout is for ?? I don't get it. LOL

Rick

001 (Medium).JPG
006 (Medium).JPG
007 (Medium).JPG
008 (Medium).JPG
009 (Medium).JPG

Hello ALL.

As long as we are on this subject, here is a horn flask I have. I still cannot totally figure the spout on this one. It's obvious the spout can be threaded up or down for different charges of powder. But there is no way to know how many grains are in the spout for each turn of the spout. And I can't figure out what the slot on the spout is for ?? I don't get it. LOL

Rick

View attachment 304602View attachment 304603View attachment 304604View attachment 304605View attachment 304606

I think the spout is not original. The top might be a common patent top with inside spring

Latest posts

Back