• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unmarked 1849 Pocket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Late yesterday, I got to shoot the 1849 Pocket Model I recently bought here on the forum ( SOLD - Unmarked 1849 .31 pocket ). I had planned to order some #0 buckshot but never got around to it, so I whipped out a quick die set on the lathe to flatten out .310 rifle balls to .325 and headed down to the woods. I didn't expect much from such a projectile, but was able to keep them on the target from five yards. It was difficult to get the upset balls sitting properly to be rammed and not something I'd want to do on a regular basis, but it did allow for a bit of shooting.

49 Pocket 1st.jpg

I've read many stories about the anemic performance of these little .31 pistols, how their wounds are mostly distractions and a great way for the shooter to get himself whipped. Not sure what those writers were loading in their .31's, but this one was punching right through a 3/4" #2 pine board and burying out of sight in a black gum log. I'll pass on getting shot with one, thanks.

As far as molds go, the options I see are the brass Colt-style molds that cast one ball and one conical, the .319 Lee lapped/beagled to throw a .323, or a custom .323 mold. I'd probably just buy a few pounds of buckshot and call it a day if anyone seemed to actually know what they had in the way of alloy/hardness and dimensional consistency, but the few answers I've gotten to the question haven't been very convincing. Any other options I should be looking at?

Back