• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti .31 1849 Pocket Power

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to soak old yellow pages phone books to use for penetration tests. I always thought they were a suitable indicator of a wound channel on a deer.

At one time I had a good collection of phone books and did the same thing myself. Specifically I was comparing the same projectile out of different barrel lengths to see the difference not only between barrels, but various projectile performance. It really didn't matter if the books were all the same thickness or not, as long as the projectiles in each group were shot at the same phone book.
Truth be told, I have no idea if 1" of a wet phone book is supposed to equal anything other than it's 1" of wet phone book, lol.

But who doesn't like shooting at a reactive target? :thumb:

I wish our range allowed various targets. I would love to blast water bottles, soda cans, frozen turkeys etc but paper targets only. On the other side, ive been to ranges, property where folks were shooting glass bottles and thinking whose gonna clean up that mess.

Sounds like it was probably green wood,and possibly had bark.
At one time I had a good collection of phone books and did the same thing myself. Specifically I was comparing the same projectile out of different barrel lengths to see the difference not only between barrels, but various projectile performance. It really didn't matter if the books were all the same thickness or not, as long as the projectiles in each group were shot at the same phone book.
Truth be told, I have no idea if 1" of a wet phone book is supposed to equal anything other than it's 1" of wet phone book, lol.

But who doesn't like shooting at a reactive target? :thumb:
Many gun magazine writers used to use soaked telephone books in 60s.703. 80s.
Just about anything will work for a comparison if done systematically and orderly fashion.
If youcompare a rifle that is a good deer killer with another under as close to identical circumstances an reasonable conclusion csn be arrived at.
over the past 70 years or so I have seen and read of many comparative tests , and if one is convinced they were done in an valid amnner conclusions csn be made.
for amnyit may make sense and not so for others.
I believe most of us do not believe that .22 long rifle is a proper deer rifle , but I have always heard that more deer are killed with such than any other.
I dont know this to be absolutly true , but I am inclined to believe it to be.
Many years ago a qoute from a writer hunter , I believe Peter Capstic advised ( bring enough gun ).
He makes sense to me.

Blitz

Using subs and a conical the penetration I see on compressed books is impressive.
IMG_20230619_113607_9.jpg

The wife gets all the old reject romances and tapes them up.

My penetration tests began early. I always wanted a BB gun with "enough:" power. My minimum was had to stick in wood. That left out the ol lever action classics :(

Never worried too much about it in BP until I got the screw in barrel gun in a book .45 which wouldn't allow enough powder to that, and then the .31, was one of my favorites to shoot until I got the .36 sheriff. The .31 has shot back a few times and will stick in the bark of a ponderosa. Need to try some 4f next.

Sounds like it was probably green wood,and possibly had bark.

Many gun magazine writers used to use soaked telephone books in 60s.703. 80s.
Just about anything will work for a comparison if done systematically and orderly fashion.
If youcompare a rifle that is a good deer killer with another under as close to identical circumstances an reasonable conclusion csn be arrived at.
over the past 70 years or so I have seen and read of many comparative tests , and if one is convinced they were done in an valid amnner conclusions csn be made.
for amnyit may make sense and not so for others.
I believe most of us do not believe that .22 long rifle is a proper deer rifle , but I have always heard that more deer are killed with such than any other.
I dont know this to be absolutly true , but I am inclined to believe it to be.
Many years ago a qoute from a writer hunter , I believe Peter Capstic advised ( bring enough gun ).
He makes sense to me.

Blitz
That was Robert Ruark. I believe…

Latest posts

Back