• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

UNKNOWN HORN

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNKS

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi I have just acquired a powder horn. I know nothing of it's history. We Brits did not seem to use horns for our muzzle loaders, rather going for flasks. So I doubt this horn is British. It does appear to be home made and quite old. It also seems to want to hang upside down on a brass chain. The chain itself is odd I have never seen one like it.
I would invite comments as to the horns possible origin or any useful information please.
HORN 001.JPG
HORN 005.JPG

Hi I have just acquired a powder horn. I know nothing of it's history. We Brits did not seem to use horns for our muzzle loaders, rather going for flasks. So I doubt this horn is British. It does appear to be home made and quite old. It also seems to want to hang upside down on a brass chain. The chain itself is odd I have never seen one like it.
I would invite comments as to the horns possible origin or any useful information please.
View attachment 48576View attachment 48577
Looks like a California Berkeley hashish horn, goes with a hash pipe? Maybe has T.L. engraved on it somewhere? (T Leary). Looking at workmanship I would guess India, especially with a brass chain set up. Who knows WHAT kind of - POWDER- it stored!

ROBBY. Thanks the pegs are a puzzle. Not ivory but some form of metal. Not silver or they would be tarnished. Not steel or they would be rusty and they are definitely hand made.

What are the dimensions of that horn? It looks quite small.

I'm also interested in the diameter of the opening in the spout, as well as any residual contents that might be in it.

This artifact just doesn't say "powder horn" to me. I think it must be for something other than gunpowder. I believe native people in colonial East Africa carried snuff in small horns suspended from around their necks, for example. I'm not saying that's what this one is for, although the hourglass shape of the spout, and the multiple rings carved around the stopper do suggest African design to me.

Thanks for showing us this interesting horn!

Notchy Bob

What are the dimensions of that horn? It looks quite small.

I'm also interested in the diameter of the opening in the spout, as well as any residual contents that might be in it.

This artifact just doesn't say "powder horn" to me. I think it must be for something other than gunpowder. I believe native people in colonial East Africa carried snuff in small horns suspended from around their necks, for example. I'm not saying that's what this one is for, although the hourglass shape of the spout, and the multiple rings carved around the stopper do suggest African design to me.

Thanks for showing us this interesting horn!

Thanks for the interest. Tiz a strange one. What intrigues me most is that it hangs "upside down" to any other horn.
Dimensions are --- Total length without stopper 8" Dia at widest point 2" Dia of hole in spout three eighths ".
It's going to make me a lovely little powder horn wherever it's from. I suspect India. The multiple pins which hold it together look very much like silver. No sign of contents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunks,

Thank you for the information. However, I researched it a bit this morning, and there is no doubt in my mind that your horn is a snuff container from Africa.

Here is a "snuffbox" collected from the Maasai:

Maasai Snuff Horn.jpeg

The container is shaped differently, but look at the chain. It is virtually identical to the chain in the photo in the original post. Maybe chain of this type was an item of trade.

I don't know the tribal association from the next one... Just that it came from somewhere in the Dark Continent:

African Snuff Horn.jpg

This next on came from the Kamba people of Kenya:

Kamba Snuff Horn.jpg

Compare the metal dot inlays to those in the original post. The metal inlay on all of these horns, incidentally, was identified as aluminum.

I first read John Hunter's book African Hunter (over and over...) when I was nine years old. I recall one passage in which Hunter shot a rhino or elephant with one of those massive African cartridges. I think the kill required additional shots. He mentioned that his native tracker picked up the ejected brass cartridge cases to use in making snuff boxes. With that in mind, check this out, taking note of the brass neck on the horn:

Kenyan Snuff Horn.jpeg

You have a very interesting artifact in your hands, my friend. It may not be what we first thought, but I'm sure it has stories of its own to tell.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I do thank you for that. Perhaps I might just keep it as it is and see what research I can do. You never know it just might be valuable. I gave 35 GBP for it. The chain is rather strange.

Back