• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Glass Horns & Flasks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most would think of glass as the last material one would want to store and carry powder in but glass flasks and horns did exist and actually saw use in the woods. They are rare and the survival rate is probably very low but examples can be found. Some were made as novelty items and by artisans to show their skill and some seem to be production items such as the flask shown here from my collection and identical to the one in figure 14 pg. 2 and described on pg. 4 of the linked pdf. Dismissing the ones made to hold perfume (Avon) and spirits like George Dickel we can find ones actually made to hold black powder and to be used. The flask illustrated was blown into a mold and has quite heavy walls which would make it difficult to break but still not unbreakable. The very few photos of the flask style I have found do not have a mechanism on the top but rather a wood stopper in a few cases.

I tried filling the flask with powder, salt and also empty in an attempt to show the scene with 3 grouse which is prevalent on both sides and found the best photos were taken empty on a black background.

https://www.fohbc.org/PDF_Files/GlassPowderHorns_CMunsey.pdf

Attachments

• DSCF1790.JPG
    DSCF1790.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF1791.JPG
    DSCF1791.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1792.JPG
    DSCF1792.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 2
Very interesting. I think glass has several properties that are good for storing powder;
water and air tight
non-reactive to most chemicals
generally durable and doesn't rot or degrade over time
you can see how much is inside
somewhat tough -the same impact that breaks glass would also crack or split horn, dent metal or tear leather
doesn't spark and doesn't burn

But, probably heavier than more common materials. And you need specific equipment to manufacture.
Thanks for sharing.

This is a necro thread I searched up looking for the answer to a related question. I was not able to find the answer. The NMLRA Guide says, specifically, to never store BP in glass. I made a couple of pounds that I haven’t corned yet that I put in mason jars…. What’s the rational here? Static electricity off the glass? Plastic will also attract fugitive electrons. Once you touch the glass/plastic it would discharge the loose electrons.
1691330379839.gif

BP is explosive under pressure. Not under pressure it just burns (rapidly). Containers that burst/fail before reaching high pressure are preferred...brass flasks should split open and the base plug on a horn should burst. An airtight glass container probably has higher risk of becoming a grenade.

BP in any kind of container, even paper, is a bomb, don't be fooled by the "weak" containers just go whoosh instead of POW! theory. All a thin, weak container does to improve safety is there is less pressure before rupture and less mass to the shrapnel when it does go off, though if it DOES go off in your hand or bag, the explosion is significant enough that container type won't make much difference. Firework charges are contained in aluminum foil, thin cardboard, or papier mache and go "boom" quite dramatically. The only reason the lift charges don't explode is because they are prepared specially by pressing into a single, hard, dense "grain" that burns from one end.

The reason why not to use glass to store/transport BP is that when you carry it from your dry, air-conditioned house to a hot, humid range and back again, the moist air from outside will condense the moisture inside the glass and dampen the powder. I have experienced total fogging of the inside of the glass when doing this. I just opened the lid and let it dry out indoors. So while I use pickle jars to store homemade powder, I never take them outside anymore.

Last edited:
Back