• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unknown Gun - .36 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zonie said:
If anything is irrelevant in this topic I think bad mouthing the guns build quality fits the bill.

Had WVU asked about the guns architecture or build quality, your comments would be valid.

As he did not ask about these things, in my opinion, comments about the guns quality of build are not responsive to the questions he did ask.
WVU said:
I also have no idea the age or really anything about the gun and was hoping someone here might have some thoughts based on the photos.
It was an open-ended question that asked about the gun in general. The question was answered objectively and the OP is free to do what he wishes with the information...

Black Hand said:
To me, it looks like a 2x4 hacked to a rough stock shape with a barrel stuck to the top.

I make my guns and knives to be used and don't shed a tear if they get scratched or dinged. It is these signs of honest use that give them character...

:barf: :doh: :surrender: Uncalled for and HARSH. I think it looks great. :thumbsup:

Black Hand said:
It is a fine example of $800 in parts being made into a $200-400 rifle...

Well my friend...if that were my grampa's rifle (or my wifes grampa's)and I knew he had used it alot, let alone built it, I would say the value was whatever it took to get it (likely from a greedy city boy cousins dirty lil hands!).

I hope the new member doesn't gag n run. NOTHING wrong with that gun. He didn't come in here bragging he stole it off GB for $3,500.00. Family means more to some I guess.

I couldn't agree more. I really do like that rifle. So it isn't fancy, well, that is a plus in my book, and the family connection just makes it priceless!

I'm not sure why some people feel compelled to dis other people's guns. It's impolite and reveals far more about the poster than about the gun. Why diminish someone's joy of owning a firearm with remarks like "poorly built" and "hacked out of a 2x4."

If you disapprove of someone else's firearm, why not just STFU?

Gene L said:
I'm not sure why some people feel compelled to dis other people's guns. It's impolite and reveals far more about the poster than about the gun. Why diminish someone's joy of owning a firearm with remarks like "poorly built" and "hacked out of a 2x4."

If you disapprove of someone else's firearm, why not just STFU?

:thumbsup: best post yet (other than original with some great pics of a nice gun)

Gene L said:
I'm not sure why some people feel compelled to dis other people's guns. It's impolite ,,,,
He said " was hoping someone here might have some thoughts based on the photos."
Should he get the truth about what people think, or just some politically correct BS?

Remember--- no matter what is posted from now on--- "NICE GUN". :shake:

Jack Wilson said:
Gene L said:
I'm not sure why some people feel compelled to dis other people's guns. It's impolite ,,,,
He said " was hoping someone here might have some thoughts based on the photos."
Should he get the truth about what people think, or just some politically correct BS?

Remember--- no matter what is posted from now on--- "NICE GUN". :shake:

Please don't hide rudeness behind being "PC." There's nothing politically correct about being polite. That's just human.

But that's not what you posted. Was it helpful, as you imply? I don't think so. It was an example of some (you) attempting some kind of power play..."Look at how much I know!" "Your rifle is totally unworthy, and by implication, mine is much superior." And yours may be, but there's no reason to trumpet this.

Nothing politically correct about treating a new member with a little decency!I am very thick skinned, but a 2x4 with a barrel stuck on it,is not constructive criticism. Maybe for a member who have been on here a period of time it is acceptable !
Most of us smelled BS first!Can we just get over the mine is bigger syndrome :confused:

IMO it's not a bad looking rifle, yes there some things that could have made it better but it is what it is.
Several months ago there was a picture in Muzzleloader Magazine of Jim Beckworth's rifle. Pretty plain fullstock percussion gun, this one kind of resembles it.
Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some people seem to never be able to be say something nice but they must say something. What is nice on this forum is that you may go to your settings and block people whom you don't want to see their posts.
Happy New Year to all. :patriot:

+2

Little wonder the OP has not been back on this thread. Fine way to treat a new guy. "Ignore" is a powerful tool.

I just got to this thread. My first thought on looking at the pics: "I like this rifle." :thumbsup:

Home-built, and Appalachian Folk Art come to mind. Does it have flaws? Oh, yes, but don't we all? I'm thinking it's a shooter, and I hope you get back to us with a report on how well it does on the range, or in the woods.

Richard/Grumpa

Gene L said:
There's nothing politically correct about being polite. That's just human.

But that's not what you posted. Was it helpful, as you imply? I don't think so. It was an example of some (you) attempting some kind of power play..."Look at how much I know!" "Your rifle is totally unworthy, and by implication, mine is much superior."
Putting things I did not say in quotes is deceptive at best. Shame on you.

What I said was: "Looks like a poorly made kit?". Others agreed.

I also said: "Nothing wrong with it, but it is what it is."

I never said anything about it being "unworthy" nor did I mention anything about my firearms. Those are your deceptive words.

Jack Wilson said:
Gene L said:
There's nothing politically correct about being polite. That's just human.

But that's not what you posted. Was it helpful, as you imply? I don't think so. It was an example of some (you) attempting some kind of power play..."Look at how much I know!" "Your rifle is totally unworthy, and by implication, mine is much superior."
Putting things I did not say in quotes is deceptive at best. Shame on you.

What I said was: "Looks like a poorly made kit?". Others agreed.

I also said: "Nothing wrong with it, but it is what it is."

I never said anything about it being "unworthy" nor did I mention anything about my firearms. Those are your deceptive words.

A poorly made kit done by Jack Wilson could be a very well done kit if done by azmntman? One abilities in woodworking could be a factor? If an old guy not trained in woodworking and with knarled knuckles and bad arthritis makes a kit and it shoots in my opinion its a well made kit.

We all have our limitations as well as personal gifts. We know nothing of the OP father in law but as said before its an heirloom to cherish, and hopefully shoot (alot :grin: )

Obviously some are more sensitive than others in replies but we can all try a little harder (at least with newer members?):idunno:

Nothing I said about the gun was untrue or impolite - It was an honest assessment of what I saw and no more than the poster requested. Most of us here have seen enough guns, both modern-built and originals, to objectively evaluate the quality of a particular piece. If the OP had stated that he had built it, I would have given suggestions as to issues that should be addressed. As he acquired it second-hand, I felt it was best to point out its limitations lest he be deceived about what he had. It in no way diminishes its emotional value...and I still believe that finishing the gun would be a fitting tribute to his father-in-law.

If others feel they need to read more into my statements than what was posted and crucify me for my honesty, please feel free. It really makes very little difference to me...

Black Hand said:
To me, it looks like a 2x4 hacked to a rough stock shape with a barrel stuck to the top.

This is supposed to be an objective criticism? It's certainly untrue and I would say impolite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back