• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unidentified Lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Cleaning out the garage of a relative, I found a small Lee Lead Pot, a single cavity mold for a .45 caliber maxi ball and a muffin tin with 6 ingots of lead. The man who owned this equipment has long since gone to his reward. I have been a caster of lead for smokeless powder for a while but have not done any for blackpowder, except round balls for my smoothbore.
Is there a fairly accurate way to determine if lead is soft enough for front stuffers? I don't have a hardness tester.
I would like to cast some maxi rounds for my T/C Hawken.
Any help appreciated.

I am sure someone here will have a better way but I try and scratch it with my finger nail initially.
Then if you have some known pure lead or wheel weight or whatever you cast a bullet out of the known and the unknown then squish em one against the other.
The softer one squishes more. So if this unknown squishes at the same rate as known pure it is about the same hardness.

Another seat of the pants test might be to try and cut it with a hacksaw. Lead will really be gummy to cut. Alloy will cut easier. Also lead will thud when dropped on concrete. Alloy will ring.

My opinion: Don't worry about the hardness of the lead when casting balls for muzzleloaders. Non-issue.

If it is for a smoothbore, I would do what Mulebrain said and just shoot it. You can't go too far wrong with only 6 pieces. As long as it doesn't cut the patch when loading it will do fine in a rifle. By that I mean use a smaller ball and thicker patch to prevent hard loading.

If it is for a smoothbore, I would do what Mulebrain said and just shoot it. You can't go too far wrong with only 6 pieces. As long as it doesn't cut the patch when loading it will do fine in a rifle. By that I mean use a smaller ball and thicker patch to prevent hard loading.

Yes,

Pure lead has a BHN 5 ( Brinell Hardness Number ) given some Isotope lead a while back ago? It has a BHN of 10.

Casted up some Isotope lead balls.

Range report: The Isotope ball’s were extremely hard to start and seat. Even with a clean barrel. They did shoot very well though.

Lastly, using them in a SB wouldn’t be an issue. Casting a smaller ball would also help as already mentioned.

If you can get it down the barrel and seat it, it’ll shoot. Just a little harder on the palm of the hands though!

Respectfully, Cowboy

Cleaning out the garage of a relative, I found a small Lee Lead Pot, a single cavity mold for a .45 caliber maxi ball and a muffin tin with 6 ingots of lead. The man who owned this equipment has long since gone to his reward. I have been a caster of lead for smokeless powder for a while but have not done any for blackpowder, except round balls for my smoothbore.
Is there a fairly accurate way to determine if lead is soft enough for front stuffers? I don't have a hardness tester.
Any help appreciated.
Mold a few balls and weigh them.

Hard(er) lead will come out larger in diameter when cast. Cast some and measure the diameter. If it's close to what it should be, it's soft. Either way I shoot lead that isn't so soft and shoots fine as RBs. Maxies and Minies are more difficult and won't shoot as well unless soft.

some people have used ZINK WW'S, and run into a real problem when they DRY BALL, because when you jam a ball puller into it, it just crumbles, and will not allow the screw to go into the UBER hard ZINK ball, and there for is very difficult to extract! so there is a substile difference in LEAD, ZINK witch is not the same.

Any help appreciated.
Cast some up and try it. A maxi cuts it's own rifling when loading

..., I found a small Lee Lead Pot, a single cavity mold for a .45 caliber maxi ball and a muffin tin with 6 ingots of lead. ..., I have been a caster of lead for smokeless powder for a while but have not done any for blackpowder, except round balls for my smoothbore...., I would like to cast some maxi rounds for my T/C Hawken.

OK so it's likely that the stuff is good for muzzleloading but....,

As mentioned you can likely shoot the lead through the smooth bore without worries as most folks don't have a bullet as tight in the smoothie as in the rifle.
However, as the mold is for a conical, the owner might have had an alloy, though it's unlikely. I've always found that thumnail pressure on lead will give a good indication of how soft the lead or lead alloy is, at least as far as a sort of "go/no go gauge" for using the lead.

IF you cast for your rifled Hawken, you should know that a lead alloy such as that used for modern firearms lead bullets, or fishing sinkers, etc. will normally not shrink as much as all lead when cooled. So you might end up with say .493 or perhaps even .496 lead ball when using an alloy from a .490 sized mold. Further, if the mold has a built-in sprue cutter, you may find you need to whack the sprue cutter pretty good to get it to cut the alloy sprue, and that cutter may not be that durable depending on the brand of the mold, as the manufacturer expected pure lead to be used. So with the slightly larger ball, you would then need to use a bit thinner patch. LOTS of folks have done this and have excellent accuracy results.

As for conicals, as far as I know, all of them, Maxi-Balls, Maxi-hunters, Hornady Plains bullets, and Buffalo Bullets, don't engage the rifling until fired, while LEE REAL bullets (Rifling Engraved At Loading) do engage rifling, and may really need to be smacked to get the conical to start down the bore IF you are using an alloy. The other brands obturate when the rifle is fired, and very hard alloy bullets may not do that very well, and thus accuracy suffers.

LD

I have heard of people using artist drawing pencils to determine the hardness of lead. Seems like a doable kinda thing but I saw some on youtube and I don't know where they got their chart from but their lead was coming out way harder than it should have so they were either doing it wrong or their chart was screwed up. They also showed ways to make your own hardness tester but it seems like they went abit overboard on that too.

Back