• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

underhammer wont come to full cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyram

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday,I could not get my H&A underhammer to stand cocked.It felt like a broken sear,but on taking it apart everything looked ok except that the trigger was out of place.The spring looks fine but I cannot get it back in place.My first time taking the gun down ,any advice on getting it
back working would be appreciated.
Wayne

It's hard to do a long distance diagnosis without pictures; I don't know what type/make underhammer you have.

It is a hopkins & allen .45 buggy rifle,from deer creek.I am sorry that I dont have picture capability.
Wayne

LIke mazo kid said its hard to tell without seeing the part. Now with the spring you might need a third hand to get it back. I got a little help compressing the spring while I replaced the screw under tention. Works fine but sometime you just need a little extra help.
Fox :thumbsup:

There just isn't that much to go wrong with an H&A underhammer. They are about as simple as dirt. When you say the rifle felt like it had a broken sear, exactly what do you mean. Can you be more specific?

Seems to me if you are having sear problems, and the sear tip on the trigger isn't actually broken, then the hammer is where you need to look, as the half-cock notch and full cock notch are there, and they could be chipped, or something, keeping your rifle from coming to full cock and remaining there. The trigger guard/hammer spring is in place isn't it?

That little curly-que of a trigger spring souldn't be much of a problem to deal with. Is it properly in place?

If your can't send actual photos, paint a word picture and maybe some of us with underhammers can walk you through the problem solving process.

I don't know a lot about someguns popular here, but I do know a little about H&A underhammers. I haven't shot mine in a long time, but could dig it out and see what might be causing your problem.

Spud,
I agree with Kansas, these are the simplest of all the underhammer actions on the market. If everything is in it's proper place (hammer, trigger, mainspring and trigger return spring) it almost has to be a chipped, or broken, notch in the hammer or a chipped, or broken, tip on the trigger. I had one that would not stay on full cock and had to re-file the full cock notch, good as new. Good luck.
Mark

Thanks folks.The hammer and trigger seem fine.It felt as though the hammer either would not go back far enough or would not engage the trigger.When I took the screws out,the trigger spring was slid back in the cavity where its longest leg fits.I dont know if that was the problem or if the screw popped off as I disassembling it.Now,I cant see3m to get the cussed spring back in place..
Wayne

Yep, those screws can be a pain. Take Rubincam's offer, and save yourself the headache.

If the hammer and trigger on your rifle checkout OK, then you about have to be dealing with a spring problem. You only have two to worry about -- shouldn't take long to analyze.

A crank type screw driver comes in real handy for installing the trigger guard/spring screw. You can't get a straight screw driver in there straight enough to work without boogering up the screw slots -- generally.

waynebyram

I looked at one of mine, short leg of spring against the trigger, long leg against the rear of the action, outside almost.

A lot easier to put the trigger and spring in if you have the main spring and hammer out first.

I was going to take a picture but batteries are dead.
If you would like I can get more batteries and post or E-mail you some pictures tomorrow.

Good luck
Tinker2

Tinker 2
Thanks;pictures of the trigger spring would help;I have been trying to fit the loop of the spring into the slot in the trigger and over the screw??maybe not huh?
Wayne

waynebyram

“I have been trying to fit the loop of the spring into the slot in the trigger and over the screw??”
Yes. That’s the way.

I got some pictures. This is of the newer Hopkins & Allen pistol.
1: Trigger and spring.
100_0820.jpg

2: Set on the out side of the receiver to show position.
100_0823.jpg

3: Set in the receiver.
100_0817.jpg

A lot easier to put the trigger and spring in if you have the main spring and hammer out first.

If you need different pictures just ask.

Good luck & let us know that it’s working.
Tinker2

Well friends it seems that the trigger sear is broken.The usual places,Numrich,etc.dont have any,
Anyone have a spare or a source?
Wayne

Have you called Deer Creek? 765-525-6181??? If anyone is going to have the parts, they will, or possibly Tip Curtis: 615-654-4445. :thumbsup:

P.S. Sometimes, Dixie GW will also have these parts, but not the whole gun.

waynebyram

Well, if it looks like the one in the picture I posted but broken, and you have checked all “The usual places, Numrich, etc.” then go to your local gunshop/gunsmith and have them just make one from music wire. Shouldn’t cost you much.

I should restate that there is more then one type of trigger return spring for the Hopkins & Allen underhammers. They are not all just like the one in my picture. Not all of them are made from music wire.

Tinker2

PAUL,Tinker
Thanks for the reply.I will call Deer Creek and Dixie,Tinker2,it is the trigger sear not the spring.
Wayne

Parts on the way from Deer Creek.Turkey season is only 2 weeks away!might shoot the underhammer rather than one of the side hammers.Thanks to everyone for pics,and advice.
Wayne

waynebyram

And behind door number two.
Here is a replacement trigger that was made for me for the early type of Hopkins & Allen underhammers.
That trigger was made by a gunsmith in the early 70’s Still work fine.

Find a gunsmith in your region and take them the gun and ask. If you can’t find anyone in your area, then we have here a fine under used place in own classified ads under services wanted.
A lot of talent on this forum.

UHold1.jpg

UHold2.jpg

UHold3.jpg

UHold4.jpg

Good luck
Tinker2

Back