• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Mainspring Compression Tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a "beater" T/C Hawken that I have taken on as a project gun. I have owned a T/C Renegade and a Seneca for years, but have only taken them down enough for detail cleaning after shooting and I've never tried disassembling a T/C lock until now. I am very familiar and comfortable taking conventional flat-spring locks apart and putting them back together, but this coil-spring lock is a whole different beast.

I believe @waarp8nt , a forum member, did a video showing how to use a pipe cleaner for getting this job done, and I tried it. I did manage to get the lock apart and back together again using his technique, more or less, but it sort of turned into one of my workshop comedy routines, and I'm glad nobody was watching (or listening). His hands and his pipe cleaners are evidently stronger than mine... I broke three pipe cleaners in the process, and I've often said that none of my gunsmithing or woodworking projects are really complete until I have bled on them. This one was no exception. I expect I'll need to take this lock apart and reassemble it a couple more times before the job is complete, and I'm not looking forward to that.

In the distant past, I recall seeing a legitimate tool designed for compressing, removing, and reinstalling a T/C mainspring. It was sort of a pliers-type tool, with specially designed jaws. Now that I need one, I can't find one. Jim Chambers has a T/C mainspring tool on his pricelist, but I called this morning and was advised that they no longer have these... The pricelist is out of date. I've done a Google search and I've browsed Evil Bay and different vendors sites with no success.

If anyone can tell me where to get a T/C mainspring compression tool, I would appreciate it very much. Respectfully, I am not seeking advice regarding where to look... I have looked. I need to know where to get one.

Thank you kindly!

Notchy Bob

Thanks, @necchi

That looks like one way to get 'er done. I may try it. However, my hands are not as strong and dexterous as they once were, not to mention visual issues. Not that I'm complaining. I just need things to be as foolproof as possible.

Much obliged,

Notchy Bob

When I needed to disassemble a TC lock, I read about how difficult it was to remove the coil spring on various M/L boards. I took one look at it, got out my needle nose pliers and had it out in a second, installation was the same. No springs went sailing across my shop like the naysayers on the other boards had promised would happen.

I have found that on these boards a lot of folks like to offer an opinion that is not based on actual experience. I suspect the gloom and doom folk have never taken a TC main spring out of a lock.

Latest posts

Back