• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&A underhammer hammer will not stay cocked???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Needstuff03

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently received a h&a underhammer and noticed the hammer will not stay in the cocked position. I took it apart and don't see any thing broken or unusual wear. If you put some pressure on the back of the hammer it will stay cocked until you release the pressure. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the issues

Maybe something is gripping the trigger enough to keep it from engaging without that extra pressure you mention. Not knowing the layout of that mechanism I can't proffer an educated guess.

I recently received a h&a underhammer and noticed the hammer will not stay in the cocked position. I took it apart and don't see any thing broken or unusual wear. If you put some pressure on the back of the hammer it will stay cocked until you release the pressure. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the issues
The hammer full cock and trigger face angle needs correcting. It's kind of tricky so I'd recommend having some one with experience do the job for you. I have a match rifle built on the very same action.

Have had/shot these for over 50 years, still have one. About as simple a mechanism as possible, If the trigger "holds" while you push forward on the rear of the trigger, suspect the trigger may have something preventing it from engaging. As M. DeLand posted - don't try to re-cut notches yourself. On earlier ones, the large pin holding the barrel in the receiver is tapered. If driven out, it must be replaced the same way it came out.

Those are very reliable, accurate rifles in my experience. Always wear long sleeve on support arm when firing offhand and don't lose the brass cup surrounding the nipple. Good luck!

A common problem with these is breaking the nose or sear portion of the trigger off. This usually is the result of a very slow and gentle trigger pull allowing the nose to strike the edge of the half cock notch. Some close up photos of the trigger and hammer will help pin down the issue, without them it's mostly guess work as to the actually problem. Pull the trigger all the way back so its nose is outside the stock for one photo.

Agree with the angle of the trigger at the hammer notch. Only a little wear or a slight chip can put the trigger and hammer out of alignment. On some of my target rifles I eliminate the safety altogether to avoid hanging up or chipping the trigger. Only cocking on the line takes care of the safety issue.

I'm uploading pictures of the trigger disassembled, I do not feel comfortable in changing geometry on the engagement surfaces. Do any of you all know a gunsmith that is knowledgeable and could preform such a task

Attachments

• 20220217_200055.jpg
    20220217_200055.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220217_200047.jpg
    20220217_200047.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220217_200031.jpg
    20220217_200031.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 65
Looks to me, from what can be seen, that the full cock notch is worn down to a point that it won't hold full cock. Two choices;
1)Try to re file the notch, difficult.
2)Replace the hammer, easy and less than $20 from Deer Creek Products.

Give them a call in Waldron Indiana. I know they cary parts as well as whole guns, I've bought from them before.

Back