• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker-Hale Musketoon Lock Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know; I will check it out!

It is not a common problem on REAL Parker Hale locks at all, but I'm just trying to mention something else that will cause such damage to a half cock notch, if it is present. I have found this to be a problem in many Italian made UnCivil War Military locks, though.

If it is happening, you must very carefully shorten the front of the bottom Sear leaf spring just enough so it doesn't hit the sear bolster anywhere along the normal movement of the Sear. I learned to do that with a flat diamond file, then rounded the bottom front corner of the front of the bottom Sear spring leaf just a bit with a medium India stone. Rounding that bottom front of the bottom leaf spring allows it to smoothly contact the Sear throughout any movement.

Gus

Last edited:
Windini
It would appear your sear pivot hole was drilled at an angle which is cocking the sear arm out from the plate. This could cause multiple problems. I have attached a picture of my lock out of my Birmingham manufactured Parker Hale musketoon. As you can see in the picture there is hardly enough room between the sear arm and the plate to get a piece of paper between. View attachment 108082
I have a PH Birmingham musketoon which has been taken out of “moth balls”. I am looking for recommendations for a spare parts supplier for the lock, trigger mechanism and nipple. Btw, when I was using this gun originally in the mid 1970s I had a similar issue with my tumbler and sear. I found that loosening the aforementioned screws did the trick. Do you have any issues with the sear wearing down so the hammer would not stay cocked? I had not fiddled with it but have been told that sears don’t wear out unless filed down. Can you comment on this as well?

I have a PH Birmingham musketoon which has been taken out of “moth balls”. I am looking for recommendations for a spare parts supplier for the lock, trigger mechanism and nipple. Btw, when I was using this gun originally in the mid 1970s I had a similar issue with my tumbler and sear. I found that loosening the aforementioned screws did the trick. Do you have any issues with the sear wearing down so the hammer would not stay cocked? I had not fiddled with it but have been told that sears don’t wear out unless filed down. Can you comment on this as well?

Nipples are easy in Ampco (Bronze) and Steel from:

Lodgewood:
Welcome to Lodgewood Mfg - US Blackpowder Martial Arms 1780-1898

And S&S:
S & S Firearms Home (ssfirearms.com)

HOWEVER, there are NO MORE Birmingham PH parts, as they dried up decades ago. In 1996 at the World Championships of the International Muzzleloading Committee, both major English Black Powder suppliers informed me of that. That's the bad news.

The GOOD news is Original Interchangeable Parts Enfield Lock parts will be a virtual "drop in fit," because PH made their guns according to the original gauges. ALSO, repro parts for them will also work in PH guns. (Italian made PH parts WON'T work.) You can get repro parts from the suppliers linked above and sometimes original parts.

Gus

Lodgewood:

And S&S:

HOWEVER, there are NO MORE Birmingham PH parts, as they dried up decades ago. In 1996 at the World Championships of the International Muzzleloading Committee, both major English Black Powder suppliers informed me of that. That's the bad news.

The GOOD news is Original Interchangeable Parts Enfield Lock parts will be a virtual "drop in fit," because PH made their guns according to the original gauges. ALSO, repro parts for them will also work in PH guns. (Italian made PH parts WON'T work.) You can get repro parts from the suppliers linked above and sometimes original parts.

Gus
Thanks so much for the info. I don’t have to worry about the threads on the nipples? I knew about PH using the original gauges which was what raised my concerns about US made repro parts. I will definitely check out the links you gave me. Hopefully they will have parts in stock.

Lodgewood:

And S&S:

Gus
I looked into the sites you gave me and none of them have even reproduction parts available at present. :( but I do thank you again for your trouble.

Thanks so much for the info. I don’t have to worry about the threads on the nipples? I knew about PH using the original gauges which was what raised my concerns about US made repro parts. I will definitely check out the links you gave me. Hopefully they will have parts in stock.

As to the nipples, yes the thread size you need is 5/16-18.
Ampco (Bronze)
NP1055 Nipple - 5/16 X 18 Ampco (dixiegunworks.com)

Steel/Stainless scroll down on this page for size 5/16-18.
Nipples - Track of the Wolf

As to repro parts not being available right now, they will be when things get back to normal from Covid. Probably the same for original parts, though of course less of them are available each year.

Gus

It makes a whole lot more sense to order a spring clamp and hammer puller from Jim Chambers or L and R. Someone has stated that this lock didn’t need a fly. If it had a properly working fly we wouldn’t have this problem.
The original Enfield rifles had NO detents /'flys' WW s maybe but how these washers & so called' Flys' come from is a mystery' tinkering boobies' ? . I briefly had a Parker Hale three band .Nice but my old original 2nd contract Volunteer's was all the Enfield shooting I ever needed cost me a whole 8 pounds in 1960 I was so learned its nipple protecter was rusted one & I didnt know but one holding & the fuse of a penny banger while a chum aimed the sparks at the nipple protecter and it 58 ball knocked dust of a dry stone wall (Wadded with tree leaves ).Was the beginning of my Enfield days its school boy owner wanted to buy a motor bike & 8 pounds was at lot in those days He called it a' Hawkey gun 'I didn't know enough question him but we walked a mile or so to a public telephone Few had telephone's those days. Hear him getting the OK from his aunty who gave it him . She say's Why 8 pounds ?. I says its all Iv'e got. .& I walked through the Derbyshire fields back home .No black helicopters' them days ! . I used to read the UK' Shooting Times' so wrote to the Editor a Mr L G Pine he says its an Enfield and gave me the MLAGB address I joined as' Junior member '7/ & 6 pence some thing like that chances are I had it longer than its original owner in 1859.This account seems bit like' Bevis & Mark' but just added as many would have stared as humbly Actually it wasn't my first ML s. I picked potatoes for 7 shilling but it bought me what the boy called a 'Martin Henry' Just a broken stock Belgium Single & it came with very nice shot flask I still have, but the gun was traded of Anyway enough memory lane,
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Back