• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The breech plug is part of the underhammer receiver and the barrel screws onto the action making for a better tighter fit. Also don't worry about cap fragments 10 years of shooting underhammer and I have never been injured or burnt a shirt and when target shooting my supporting hand is just forward of nipple with no forearm or nipple cup.

This is the action gifted to me but I have no idea of who built it. It has a half cock and no brazed on ends as has my H&A action that started life as a .45 caliber Buggy rifle.
It appears to be a good bit more sturdy than the H&A on my current rifle. It has three set screws for the barrel lock in and no tapered cross pin.
It is a single piece steel casting. Probably make a heavy bench gun with it one day.

Fire & Iron Manufacturing “H&A” Action

Features:

Solid receiver of cast steel following Numrich Arms underhammer pattern

External mainspring which also serves as the triggerguard

Un-adjustable simple, single trigger system

Half-cock notch on hammer for safe carrying in the field or on the range

Receiver is cast of medium carbon steel allowing bluing, browning, or color casehardening of the action

Receiver accepts separate breechplug which is held by three Allen socket screws.

5/8” X 18 TPI breechplug and ¼” X 20 TPI stock bolt are included.

Price: $175.00 check The Underhammer Society

backwater said:
Thanks everyone. I'm still not sure how they secure barrel, no set screws in parts list but must come with. Now for the caliber .62 has been on the wish list but the cost/skill needed counts me out and the only rifled barrel in .62 is the 31" jeager. Not sure if the jeager would work but the thought of a swamped underhammer tickles me for some reason! For around $600 without the forearm which i dont care for anyway

kruzer1
On this forum is building one in .62 as we speak

PM Him he will respond
William Alexander

I am putting it together with a .62 rice forsythe barrel (one of them with the slow twists designed to be shot with 200 grains of powder). I'm not doing it completely PC like I tried with my matchlock.

In fact for wood I am mating it with an old broken Mauser stock from the early 1900's. Found it in my junk pile and decided to make something of it. Here it is so far.. Going to be removing some wood this weekend.

(pardon the messy work bench- was not really taking this picture for show).
20171104190809.jpg

If you have any questions or want to see more pictures let me know.

I think you made a good decision with that stock choice. It should make the recoil much more pleasant than what I get with my .58 H&A which has what my friends call "pretty stout" recoil with 120 grains FFg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back