• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefchivo

32 Cal
Reaction score
I acquired a Numerich Arms Heritage underhammer from my grandfathers estate. I know nothing about the history of this rifle as I don’t remember anyone ever using it when I was growing up. At any rate I was wondering if you all need of anyone that could help me out or a gunsmith that can look it over and make repairs or redo anything that might be needed to get it going? I figure I’d at least like to take it to the range and play with it a bit and bring it afield and take a few animals with it. I was told of Bobby Hoyt for re - barreling. But I also need someone to make sure the trigger, nipple and hammer are solid.

Scott

Those H&A underhammers are extremely simple affairs. And, they are extremely reliable. There isn't much on them that you can't see for yourself, an expert is not needed. The only caution is to be sure to use the proper nipple. They require one slightly different than most rifles. A good vendor, like Track of the Wolf will send you proper nipple if you tell them what you have.

Been shooting those since the 60's. The "takedown pin" that holds the barrel in the receiver is tapered. It will go in both ways (for a bit), but if you try to hammer it in the wrong way....just don't. (Speaking from experience.)

The buttstock is prone to splitting if you try to ram a patched ball too hard. (Speaking from experience)

Those have been very accurate rifles for us. Killed multiple X-rings with the .45 factory barrels. WEAR A LONG-SLEEVE SHIRT. Have Fun !!!

My main concern was the trigger and the hammer. Is there a certain way to lock it to fire or is the trigger pull really that heavy to get it to fire? I can’t see that being the case but maybe it is. When you pull the hammer down it doesn’t engage unless you manually pull the trigger to lock it.

Attachments

• 73550947080__5F220A2A-03A5-4F5E-B3FF-CD2949BDEF28.MOV
    4.1 MB
That certainly isn't the way it should work - it sounds like the trigger spring is broken or missing, or the trigger pivot is stuck or bent.
There are two notches in the hammer, the first one is the half cock and you shouldn't be able to pull the trigger to release it (don't do that).
It doesn’t grab the smaller notch at all. Only half cock.

My main concern was the trigger and the hammer. Is there a certain way to lock it to fire or is the trigger pull really that heavy to get it to fire? I can’t see that being the case but maybe it is. When you pull the hammer down it doesn’t engage unless you manually pull the trigger to lock it.
Hope you get it fixed. It is best not to dry fire without a rubber or leather on the nipple. The hammer will mushroom the nipple and then the caps will not fit.
Good luck.
Larry

Hope you get it fixed. It is best not to dry fire without a rubber or leather on the nipple. The hammer will mushroom the nipple and then the caps will not fit.
Good luck.
Larry
I’m not worried much. I would just replace the trigger assembly regardless. I just wanted you all to see what I was talking about.

IMG_0089w.jpg

This is an important part.

View attachment 314753
This is an important part.
Yeah it doesn’t stay engaged. When I go to cock the hammer it won’t catch on either full cock or half cock. I have to manually push it in to half cock and it won’t engage full cock at all. So is it best to look at a new assembly of a hammmer and trigger or just trigger and spring ?

I don't think there are any new parts available. Numrich Arms is still around, but they don't show those parts as being in stock.
A spring could be made, but the hammer and trigger would be more of a challenge.

I don't think there are any new parts available. Numrich Arms is still around, but they don't show those parts as being in stock.
A spring could be made, but the hammer and trigger would be more of a challenge.
That’s what I found as well. It could always just go for a mantle gun and call it good. I just wasn’t sure if there was a smith I could send it to or if anyone knew of any random place that might have parts and pieces still

So yeah it looks like your missing the trigger-spring and without the spring pressure it won't hold on full-cock (or go into half-cock either). Also run a stone across the full cock 'shelf' a couple times just be sure to keep it flat so you don't change the angle in any way , unless it still doesn't hold then a file may be needed and just angle it ever so slightly as you don't want the trigger to grab and hold to where you can't pull the trigger. I had one that wouldn't hold on full cock (safely) and I just filed it and now it works fine. Hope you get it going as these are very fun (and reliable) to shoot. Forget about inlines👎 DI (Direct Ignition) is where its at!!!!

That’s what I found as well. It could always just go for a mantle gun and call it good. I just wasn’t sure if there was a smith I could send it to or if anyone knew of any random place that might have parts and pieces still
Check with Pecatonica River they have the H&A actions. They may have parts. I am still building on mine. Mine is the later model with set screws instead of the pin in receiver

So yeah it looks like your missing the trigger-spring and without the spring pressure it won't hold on full-cock (or go into half-cock either). Also run a stone across the full cock 'shelf' a couple times just be sure to keep it flat so you don't change the angle in any way , unless it still doesn't hold then a file may be needed and just angle it ever so slightly as you don't want the trigger to grab and hold to where you can't pull the trigger. I had one that wouldn't hold on full cock (safely) and I just filed it and now it works fine. Hope you get it going as these are very fun (and reliable) to shoot. Forget about inlines👎 DI (Direct Ignition) is where its at!!!!
Sounds good. I’ll give it a try and get back with you guys. Man…. I’m not a fan of in lines. Never have been and we can’t use them in montana unless you use them in general season. Our new heritage season is flintlock or percussion. I’m a flintlock fan on this one. But my main vice is traditional bowhunting with my longbows for deer and elk and bears. However, if I can get this thing to work as I said before I’d love to punch some paper at the range and take it afield and use it in our primitive weapons zone for whitetails 🤙🤙

What caliber do these typically come in? I’ve seen videos of them all over the board really. I’m guessing this one is a 45 but I’m not 100%

Back