• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer in the woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 9.24.32 AM.png
Utter simplicity! @Pietro it definitely makes for a classier, cleaner look.

We got out in the woods this afternoon with a recently acquired D.H. Hilliard underhammer. The smooth bore measures .525". The nipple cone was a lot larger in diameter than a number 11 cap, but much smaller than a musket cap. Was there ever a civilian cap made that was bigger than a #11? I chucked the nipple up in the drill press and filed a good taper on it, and got it to where it will hold a #11 cap well. I loaded it up with some 7.5 shot and fired it a few times, killing a couple of Coke cans deddern’ell. It had a rear sight at one time, but it appears to have been filed down flush with the barrel. It has been well used, and fairly well taken care of. The stock has had some repair, a couple of cracks and a chip. I like seeing the old repairs and don’t mind stable cracks. Adds character. It was still good and solid after carrying it a mile through the woods and firing it a few times. The bore is mostly bright with some light and scattered pitting. Doesn't fuzz up a cleaning patch too bad. Still needs a little work with some JB paste. The squirrels eluded us once again.

View attachment 192352View attachment 192350
View attachment 192351
First off.....beautiful long gun! I was at a gun show this weekend and I ran across some caps ,the container didn't look familiar to me so I opened it up to see what they were and they were percussion caps but definitely bigger than #11's I wish I could remember what they were maybe these??But it was an older container.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_20cd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_20cd.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 2
We got out in the woods this afternoon with a recently acquired D.H. Hilliard underhammer. The smooth bore measures .525". The nipple cone was a lot larger in diameter than a number 11 cap, but much smaller than a musket cap. Was there ever a civilian cap made that was bigger than a #11? I chucked the nipple up in the drill press and filed a good taper on it, and got it to where it will hold a #11 cap well. I loaded it up with some 7.5 shot and fired it a few times, killing a couple of Coke cans deddern’ell. It had a rear sight at one time, but it appears to have been filed down flush with the barrel. It has been well used, and fairly well taken care of. The stock has had some repair, a couple of cracks and a chip. I like seeing the old repairs and don’t mind stable cracks. Adds character. It was still good and solid after carrying it a mile through the woods and firing it a few times. The bore is mostly bright with some light and scattered pitting. Doesn't fuzz up a cleaning patch too bad. Still needs a little work with some JB paste. The squirrels eluded us once again.

View attachment 192352View attachment 192350
View attachment 192351
Love your gun, love your dog too.

Latest posts

Back