• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

under bullet card

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David577

32 Cal
Reaction score
Read that someone was using card bored cards cut from cereal box between powder and bullet. I want to make a cutter to try this. What diameter should I aim to cut for a 50? Don't you want the card to be a little larger then bore size? What type of felt do you cut for a felt wad. Seems felt is classed f1 - f9. And I assume 1/8 inch felt is enough. No reason to have thicker then that. Trying to ring out accuracy from Maxi's and these seem to be 2 things to try. Thank you

Wads need to fill the grooves.. deeper the groves, bigger the wads. Tighter the fit, better the seal.

I have a hollow punch set (similar to these TEKTON Hollow Punch Set (12-Piece)-6588 - The Home Depot) that I use for felt and cards. Typical go up about 1/32”-1/16” in diameter over bore size for best seal. I use 1/2” diameter 1/8” thick hard felt in my 45s, and 5/8” diameter in my 58s for example. I would suggest starting with 9/16” diameter in a 50 caliber.

Our member ohioramrod makes punches and advised me to go well beyond the groove depth for felt wads, something like .003-4” over (correct me if I’m wrong). I’d think .001” for cardboard, though I use the punch he made me for my revolvers on cardboard cereal boxes and it works great in my chambers, so I’d guess it should be ok down a muzzle.

For felt or leather I recommend .025 to .030 over bore. I have used leather for over twenty years simply because I have a lot of leather scraps. I stated with the over powder wads for deer hunting with heavy lubed mini's and liked the results so well that I use leather over powder wads on all of my rifles both round ball and mini's.

Harbor Freight sells a set of round punches for around $10. The group includes a 1/2" punch. If you want one slightly larger, just use something like a demel to slightly open up the business end of the punch. I've used them to punch felt wads for revolvers and paper over powder cards from cereal boxes.

Latest posts

Back