Quantcast

Unbreakable ramrod

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

stewart.leach

32 Cal.
Reaction score
There used to be an outfit that advertised on the Forum for making unbreakable or indestructible ramrods. They were wood with a steel inner core. I think I need one, having destructed two of the very delicate ramrods for my 40 flinter.

Does anyone have contact info for this outfit?

Thanks!

rchas

32 Cal
Reaction score
They are not hard to make if you have a table saw, preferably with a zero clearance insert. For a 3/8 rod, cut 2 strips of oak or hickory 3/8 wide by 3/16. Cut a rabbet 1/8 wide by 1/16 deep down the center of the 3/8 sides. Lay a piece of 1/8 cold rolled steel rod in the rabbet and epoxy the strips together so the ends look like a square pencil. Knock off the corners so the rod is a octogon, then round off and taper it as needed.

Dale Lilly

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure about this, having never done it … but: Back in the early fifties an old ML hunter told me he soaked ramrod shafts in kerosene until thoroughly soaked through. He claimed it made them flexible and much less likely to break. FWIW … Polecat

Dale Lilly

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be an outfit that advertised on the Forum for making unbreakable or indestructible ramrods. They were wood with a steel inner core. I think I need one, having destructed two of the very delicate ramrods for my 40 flinter.

Thanks!
Yeah, my Pedersoli Frontier in .54 has really small thimbles so I know why they sent a plastic rod. Dale

troy2000

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A little off-topic, but years ago I worked for an old-timer who soaked all his hoe handles, shovel handles, axe handles, etc. in a trough of used motor oil. He swore it made them nigh unbreakable. I can't vouch for that (although I never broke one) but I will say that although the handles were blackened, they weren't grimy or oily to the touch.

mooman76

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
It was common to soak or wipe down wooden handled tools with 30 weight motor oil to keep them from drying out.

Mark Herman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
It's not uncommon to soak hickory rods in kerosene, sometimes as long as a week. It does make them "more" flexible but certainly not unbreakable. You might look into the black flexible rods, not fiberglass. They are available in various calibers and can be fitted wit brass threaded tips. I have a number of them here

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got two SUPER ROD'S from the LOG CABIN SHOP. they are rely indestructible! and each end has a different fitting.

Mark Herman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I also put different tips on each end, one 8X32 and one 10X32. Don't have to worry about which jag you have or need to borrow.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have 3 and what I like about them you can get them for a specific rifle, diameter and length. Different ends is also nice.

Had a friend who stuck a broken wood ramrod in his forearm.

Made an impression on me, no more wood. PC/HC, the Emergency Room is not on my list of places that are fun.

Reaction score
Not what you asked, but at the Log Cabin Shop and search for "Super Rods".
The log cabin sells a 1/4 stainless rod with 8/32 threads. It also has a brass muzzle protector. A really great range rod. Most people here carry a range rod on trail walks. PS I make them for them.

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
It's not uncommon to soak hickory rods in kerosene, sometimes as long as a week. It does make them "more" flexible but certainly not unbreakable. You might look into the black flexible rods, not fiberglass. They are available in various calibers and can be fitted wit brass threaded tips. I have a number of them here
I used to soak my new hickory rods in lemon oil. Made a soaker from pvc pipe with a screw on/off end. But, I for years I sold Delrin rods. Those might be the "black flexible" things you speak of. Yes, unbreakable indestructible.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I have made many unbreakable rods using the brown fiberglass stock sold by Dixie. Also I have made many steel cored wooden rods by using the method described earlier. Either method will give you rod that for all practicle purposes is unbreakable. Also a simple brass rod will work.

kemart17

36 Cal.
Reaction score

Thanks!
you think of making a brass ramrod. its wht i use in my .36 underhammer... 1/4in

Prairieofthedog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have made many unbreakable rods using the brown fiberglass stock sold by Dixie. Also I have made many steel cored wooden rods by using the method described earlier. Either method will give you rod that for all practicle purposes is unbreakable. Also a simple brass rod will work.
I too made many ramrods from the brown fiberglass.Better make sure you use a muzzle guard all the time.Now I use electrical shrink tubing over my fiberglass rods and it works perfect as a non abrasive indestructible ramrod-range rod.

Ames

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.

Thanks!
I have to ask why are you breaking your rods? 5/16ths? I don't come close to breaking any of my hickory rods. :dunno:

LRB

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I am not sure about this, having never done it … but: Back in the early fifties an old ML hunter told me he soaked ramrod shafts in kerosene until thoroughly soaked through. He claimed it made them flexible and much less likely to break. FWIW … Polecat
Just makes them stink, and deer can smell it.

Kman

32 Cal
Reaction score
TOW sells delrin rods. Work great just need to put ends on and pin them