• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unacceptable kit condition?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zutt-man

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I’ve received and put together one kit which was a Kibler. The gun turned out great. I’ve also had a kit on order since February and it finally arrived. I won’t say where this kit was ordered from at this time.

I unbox the new kit and wondered if this is acceptable? Seems like careless handling and inletting to me, but wanted to run it by you forum members to gather your thoughts
9E58D757-2426-414A-96F7-4DACFD69800E.jpeg
575D9036-4F43-498E-87E0-1C0F73E34BE7.jpeg
3F7BBBAD-81D8-4365-ADC0-BD47CFEFD086.jpeg
0697A982-B7BB-49DE-BA5B-7482961FCAF3.jpeg
12832469-0AAE-4962-A1BD-83C83E5DDF1F.jpeg
1F1376CD-4561-4F41-98DD-1946A8E286AB.jpeg

Totally fine, and normal. You will have a much more pleasurable experience putting that one together vs. a Kibler. Take your time!

And, there is PLENTY of wood left over despite the dings etc. A lot of wood will be coming off.

Looks like a nice piece of maple. The Kibler kits are a far cry above other kits for fit & assemble there is no comparison to the others. What you have is normal and with careful workmanship the "block of wood" can be made into a very fine rifle. Good luck with it.

Like many posters here, I'm betting by the time you are done the exterior blemishes will be gone. I wouldn't worry about the inlets, the old timers hogged those out and only cared that the part fit, looks didn't matter if it was covered by a plate.

Keep on keeping on and have fun.

Well since most of my guns started with a plank & Iv'e never made any kits as such, Nearest I got was Pecatonica Or Fort Hill , Even if seconds I got at F' ship all made nice guns . I did knock up a run of Trade guns 'in the white' s' is as near as I got to' Kits' but even the cliched or knotty "Fire wood stocks ' they all made guns . One short plank from Vern Davis had a shake in it so he sold it me cheap It was great hard curly maple so its now a 58' English lock' Cheek stock carbine with a tool box covering all trace of the shake . & One of Pecatonica' s had just 4' of barrel space So I made a' turn off ' flint breach loader from it . This is sounding like the Monty Python " You where lucky '' ! bit ..so ile dissist .
Cheer.s Rudyard

The lock inlet looks like mine did on my TVM, is the breech area of the barrel also gouged from the router going into the barrel channel? The rest of the problems are easy to fix.

Latest posts

Back