• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ultra-Hi Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type83

32 Cal
Reaction score
Picked up this Ultra-Hi Brown Bess. Look’s unfired in original box. Not too familiar with this brand. Any information would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 79B5846E-3296-45AB-ACA2-3C94E6EECBC6.jpeg
    79B5846E-3296-45AB-ACA2-3C94E6EECBC6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 6615E285-0688-44E0-A0D8-4EB9BE66C232.jpeg
    6615E285-0688-44E0-A0D8-4EB9BE66C232.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2CDA4828-BFB2-4779-B472-70B3E999E1C6.jpeg
    2CDA4828-BFB2-4779-B472-70B3E999E1C6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1287DDC0-B59B-490C-92A6-D132E0F4E8BE.jpeg
    1287DDC0-B59B-490C-92A6-D132E0F4E8BE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Looks like a great find. The name Ultra High sounds like a Japanese company. I seem to remember having a pistol with that name years ago. I notice the lack of sling swivels.

Hi,
I believe that is by Miroku in Japan. To some folks they are the best commercial reproductions of Brown Bess muskets. The good points are that the metal components are of very high quality. They can be worked a bit to make them more historically accurate but the materials are very good. The barrels are some of the best and safest steel you can find anywhere for muzzleloading guns. The locks need work inside and out but they can be turned into first rate locks with polishing and tuning. The stamped markings on the outside are kind of goofy but at least they are correct despite the clumsy stamping. The stocks vary a lot, some are solid others not so much. They all have too much wood left on them. The trigger guard is misshaped. I don't know why they all have the bow flattened a bit and they can be annealed and pounded out to correct that. As with the Pedersoli Bess, the butt plate is too small and the tang crudely shaped compared with the original guns. By and large, they are usually good working repros that are still popular with a lot of reenacting folks. I like the metal parts and enjoy reshaping and finishing them up and then restocking them to make really good Brown Bess reproductions.

dave

Miriko Bess, good find !

My only real complaints about this gun is the stock, everything else is great quality.

The stocks were often made of softer Birch which does not stain well and doesn’t handle the lock recoil, its not uncommon to find chips and cracks around the lock mortise because the mainspring is excessively strong.

The later production runs used hard maple and Navy Arms often restocked this in Cherry and Walnut.

Back