• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uh Ohhhh

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackStock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I was drilling a vent on a rifle and I guess that I let it get too hot. The bit snapped off deep and of course it is level with the hole. I cannot get a grip on the stub to pull it back out and short of drilling out a drill bit with a bigger size and then using a liner, I see few options. Any suggestions from the more experienced builders?

Thanks in advance,

CS

I dought they make an eazy out that small - I'm thinking your going to have to do what you said.
Give it a few days though and see what those that may have done the same, anwser you.

You can make an "easy out" of sorts if you have a small parallel clamp or jeweler's hand vice, or even a pair of vice-grip pliers.

Stick a couple of pieces of piano wire / old drill bits / drill rod into the flutes of the broken off drill and grab them with whatever tool you can come up with.

Another old reliable is hot - cold - hot - cold. Freezer, oven, repeat. Expansion & contraction can do wonders to loosen stuck parts.

Have fun.

I take it the bit broke when it just started thru the bore area ? If so I would go in from the breech end & take a carbide burr on a dremel & cut the area it is caught on & then the bit will most likely come out with a pair of very pointed tweezers. If not, take a piece of drill stock the same size or just a tad smaller & make a L on the end of it (heat, bend retemper it), push it out with it from the inside going out.
While you are in there you can cone the vent hole from the inside too.

If you end up having to drill down beside it to get it out, plug the holes with finishing nails filed down to a tight fit, then drill for a vent liner. Filling the holes will help the drill to stay true & not wander on the holes.

Howdy

One radical tichnique that will work when all else fails it to take an Oxy/acetylene torch with a #1 tip, and make a netural flame. Move the tip of the "hard feather" so it's going straight down on the broken tap. As it gets sparkeling hot turn off the acetyelene and let the oxygen blow on the hot tap. The higher carbon content of the tap will burn it up long before the low carbon of the barrel will.
I know it sounds carzy, but I have used this technique many times, and in most cases, it won't even harm the threads.
If in the worst case, it does eat away some of your threads you can drill up one size and re-tap.
:)

Look in the phone book for tool & die shops and ask if they'll EDM the drill. This is the neatest way to remove the drill because they can use an electrode that's slightly smaller and you'll end up w/ the same size hole. This is also a common way to remove broken taps thereby saving the workpiece....Fred

Steve Zihn said:
Howdy

One radical tichnique that will work when all else fails it to take an Oxy/acetylene torch with a #1 tip, and make a netural flame. Move the tip of the "hard feather" so it's going straight down on the broken tap. As it gets sparkeling hot turn off the acetyelene and let the oxygen blow on the hot tap. The higher carbon content of the tap will burn it up long before the low carbon of the barrel will.
I know it sounds carzy, but I have used this technique many times, and in most cases, it won't even harm the threads.
If in the worst case, it does eat away some of your threads you can drill up one size and re-tap.
:)

It was the drill he broke off.

As Birddog6 stated, most of those pesky little drills give up the ghost just as they are breaking through the backside.

If one can get to the inside of breech, look in bore wall for partial break through or a little dimple there. Then rig up a L-shaped rig by grinding down small allen wrench (hard steel) or such to fit and can tap on with small hammer, might then be able to displace out the drill.

Thanks guys.

I got disgusted and put it down yesterday. I plan to give it a good look Saturday and consider your collective suggestions before making things worse.

A bit more study and percolation before action.

Thanks again,

CS

Hummmmmmm
Well, drills are high carbon steel too. I think it would work on a drill as well as it does on a tap.
The idea of EDM machining is probably the safest if it's available to him.
SZ

IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A MILLING MACHINE TAKE A SOLID CARBIDE ENDMILL AND PLUNGE MILL IT OUT WORKS EVERYTIME GUARANTEED

Back