• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Walker nipple wrench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I opened my Midway USA package, removed the Uberti Walker and Dragoon nipple wrench and immediately snapped the wrench on the second nipple. This is a brand new in the box Uberti Walker mind you. Never fired. Annoyed I am. Any better quality wrench to fit the Uberti Walker? My 1851/1861 wrench does not fit. Thanks.
852427A4-E2B0-48A0-97A0-9E85EAFE289A.jpeg

You may want to use a Dremel or something similar to slot a 1/4” drive socket to make a nipple wrench for initial removal. Sometimes it seems they us an impact to install nipples on new guns. After initial removal then you can install the nipples with a nipple wrench so they are just snug. Frustrating on a new gun and wrench!

Last edited:
Don't forget to apply a little anti-seize grease when you reinstall the nipples. A little teflon tape works too. And there is no need to tighten them too much,snug is plenty. I still think they have Luigi the Gorilla tighten them at the factory.

I bought a Ted Cash Nipple wrench of eBay a few years ago. They are somewhat pricy but have worked well for many. I bought the set for 3 nipple sizes similiar to the below pic off eBay. Just search for “Ted Cash Nipple Wrench”.

Also, follow the advise of Eutycus using anti seize and tightening snug.
Ron

E181F79A-47AB-4DE7-BA4B-92A1D44E88DD.jpeg

I bought a Ted Cash Nipple wrench of eBay a few years ago. They are somewhat pricy but have worked well for many. I bought the set for 3 nipple sizes similiar to the below pic off eBay. Just search for “Ted Cash Nipple Wrench”.

Ron

View attachment 133788
A big thank you for the Ted Cash ratcheting nipple wrench recommendation. I just received it and it works perfectly on my Uberti/Taylor’s Walker. Thanks again!

That's likely as good as it gets..The socket idea can work for the monster hard ones. The socket needs to be forged though. Some of the cheap ones are cast. Some day I will get the Ted Cash wrench.

Ron

View attachment 133788
+1 for the Ted Cash, they're really the only way to go

The cheap wrenches are junk

I use the musket socket exclusively because all of the cheap musket nipple wrenches are all made of soft pot metal

Indeed they do and it’s actually a Chapman ratchet and I guess Ted Cash nipple sockets. Chapman makes good tools.
Interesting. I have a wrench like that. Wonder if I could just buy the sockets?

CyrusP - I’m glad the Ted Cash wrench set worked out for you. I know it beats the heck out of some of those poorly manufactured nipple wrenches. It’s hard to be a good product.
Ron

Ron

View attachment 133788
Best wrench I was told to buy, and after receiving it, I agree!

I have one of the Cash wrenches that I inherited from my son. He had used it for only a few years. I don't use it at all because the heads just fall out of it, and that's too annoying to be tolerated. I mostly use one of the T wrenches (forget which brand) but I did have to file it down a bit on the outside to fit the very close quarters of the nipple on my Crockett rifle. Otherwise, I have made nipple wrenches out of sockets. When you go to buy one, you should be sure to get a narrow "deep well" socket since the standard ones won't fit down onto a nipple in various guns because the nipple cone is too high or there isn't room enough around the nipple because the socket wall thickness is too great.

Latest posts

Back