• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Mfg. Colt 1860 Army Wedge Non-Fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be quite a road trip from Arizona to Georgia for a reproduction Colt!

I'm patient with hope that I will get it back. Had this been returned in a timely manner and I was impressed with the work, I absolutely would have sent another revolver or two. We'll see.

Long trip fer sure but it's the principle of the thing. 13 months is criminally slow IMHO. It is unacceptable even if "honest" updates were being provided and inquires answered in a timely fashion. Ya cant hide behind being good that long. Besides I have not been to GA yet :hmm:

Using Atlanta, Ga as a starting point and Phoenix, Az as the ending point Google says the distance is about 1846 miles.

In an ox pulled wagon that makes about 15 miles a day, it would take 123 days of travel.

It might take a little longer if the driver took Sunday off to rest himself and the team or if the creeks were running high but that's still less than 5 months to get here. :hmm:

I too have a Goon's Gun Works story. In 2014 I sent Mike my Colt 2nd Gen 1860 Army for his basic tune up service. About 9 months later I sent an email asking the status. His reply was he was very busy but I was in line, please be patient. Fast forward to 1 year later, after some emails promising "I'll get to it next week" I sent an email saying that he had my revolver 23 months, keep the money, just return my Colt.

His reply was very apologetic and said he would do it that weekend. Two weeks later I received
it USPS Priority with the work on it done. Also, he told me for all the grief, he would do another
revolver for me free. The work he did was excellent. But I doubt I'll be sending him another
one for his service.

Actually it sounds like a good gig for me after I retire from glazing work. Sure would be nice to work in where it's warm for six months of the year instead of climbing ladder's and freezing the hands like I've been doing for 50 years.
Course the trick is to not promise more than you want or are able to do.
You don't need and FFL for muzzle loading arms either, yet!

Sad state of affairs. One of the problems with paying for work up front is there is no remaining incentive, other than honesty, to do the work.
Haven't seen 45 Dragoon post on here in quite awhile although he is still out there as recently as yesterday over on The High Road forum.
M.D. you aught to give it a whirl. Nothing that Goon was doing would be remotely complicated for you and there seems to be a demand.

I've always done glass work on my own dime unless a large outlay was required for materials, and then expect to be paid when the job was done satisfactorily. I've had very few problems with folks paying but every once in a while I get screwed but then I never work for them again and most are sorry they took that route when they have to pay the big boys next round who want money, and lots of it , up front.
My Dad always had two rules 1. treat the other guy just as if you were in his shoes and 2. If a mans word ain't any good, neither is the man.
Gun work was always a hobby for me doing my own stuff and helping friends with their projects.
I'm getting so I don't squirrel around on ladders and heavy equipment with the same agility as I used to so eventually I'll probably have to fall back on shop stuff like guns, welding and light machine work I can handle in my small home shop.
At least I can stay warm while doing it! The hands really take a beating in the cold months hear in AK and glass is cold and hard to work with gloved hands.

M.D. your father was a wise man!
The general rule in gun work, since you are generally selling skilled labor, is to not charge until the job is completed. Since you have the gun in hand and essentially a mechanics lien against it you are protected from non paying customers. The only time for up front money is when you are building from scratch and that is for materials only.
Doing it like Goon does really has the customer unfairly over a barrel since he has both the gun and the money.

Back