• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Mfg. Colt 1860 Army Wedge Non-Fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm one of those folks that likes the wedge nose flush on the far side of the barrel slot as I radius both sides of the nose a bit and want as full of a barrel slot wall engagement as I can achieve.
I also like to harden the wedge after fitting. It makes them operate more smoothly and they can never be distorted by arbor or barrel slot pressure.
I make mine out of A-2 tool steel.

I would send the gun to Mike at Goons Gun Works. He will fix your problem (assuming it's fixable) and in the process upgrade your pistol in several key areas. In the long haul, it'll end up being cheaper and will be done correctly. goonsgunworks.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that suggestion. I'll keep that in mind for further consideration. I'm hoping to have Zonie take a look at it, being he is local to me.

How come the blue (customer options) keeps over laying the text?
Sure is irritating to try and read the posters words through the blue clutter! :td:

If the above link doesn't work just Google:
Larsen E. Pettifoggers Tuning the Uberti Open top Revolvers part 3 it's an excellent article with good photos.

Yes - all three of mine had short arbors, by varying degrees. I solved this by making shims from washers and putting them into the arbor hole in the barrel until everything matched up. Once I did that, I used JB Weld to glue the shim washers together so that each gun has only 1 "shim", which is anywhere from 1-3 little washers glued together. The trick then is not to lose the shims or confuse which gun they go with, though I've been good that way so far.

Just a quick update to this thread. Based on the recommendation to sent my Uberti to Mike at Goons Gun Works, I spoke to Mike at length, then decided to ship this gun to him for his tuning package.

He definitely seems like a great guy and I'm looking forward hearing what he has to say and comparing this revolver to it's original state upon it's return.

Thanks again for all of the great advice. I'll keep this updated when I have more information. :bow:

Hawkeye, I completely understand! I haven't even gotten the 1860 Army back and I feel like boxing up my three other Ubertis (1858, Dragoon and Walker) for tuning. After speaking with Mike (Goons Gun Works), I'm confident that I'll be pleased with his workmanship!

Following up on my earlier post, I sent my 1860 Army to Mike at Goon's Gunworks in early June and still have not gotten it back. I spoke to Mike about one month after sending it. At that time, he said he usually waits until he has received several of the same model, then works on them all at once. I've left two voicemail messages and two e-mails since September with no reply.

Has anyone heard or know anything about Mike in the past few months? I hope he's doing ok.

Mike is OK, spoke with him yesterday. He was at the hospital awaiting a grandson. He has had 2 of my revolvers since last February, still not done. He said he would call me back which he hasn't done yet.

Maybe you should buy 2 or 3 more and send them to him so he will have a batch to work on. :grin:

HaHa! I like your way of thinking!

I e-mailed Mike late this afternoon again after posting the previous update, then received an e-mail from Mike. He said he will have it wrapped up next week. I'm looking forward to it's return. In the meantime, I picked up a used Pietta 1860 Army, so I'll have something to compare the tuned Uberti to. Hopefully, the Uberti will be so much nicer, I'll need to box up the Pietta and send it off to Mike.

I kinda thought that's how it would work out but didn't want to say anything. He has had 2 of my revolvers since late February last year and it's always going to be a couple of weeks or "I should have a surprise for you next week". I don't mind waiting for quality work but I do mind being told something is going to happen and then it doesn't and 13 months is getting to be rather a little too long.

Twhere it mine, and a gun I really really liked (which it would be since I was spending the extra $$) I would make a road trip and retrieve it from said proprietor. :cursing:

Back