• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1851 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dixie has them on sale for $285. $300 is almost full retail!
I'd offer $225 for it--if it's in good condition.

Since it is Uberti it will certainly suffer from short arbor syndrome and need to be corrected. For the money I would buy a new Pietta 1851 that won't have that problem and cost a lot less.

Taylor's lists them at $362 full retail, street price should be lower. Cabela's has the Pietta at $250 and The quality of the one I bought a couple of years ago is very good. Personally unless I got a real good price or it was a discontinued or hard to find revolver I would not buy an Italian C&B revolver 2nd. hand.

hawkeye2 said:
Taylor's lists them at $362 full retail, street price should be lower. Cabela's has the Pietta at $250 and The quality of the one I bought a couple of years ago is very good. Personally unless I got a real good price or it was a discontinued or hard to find revolver I would not buy an Italian C&B revolver 2nd. hand.
TOTALLY AGREE 100% --- If you buy new and have a problem then you send it back - you can't do that with a used gun no matter what the seller "promised" you by word of mouth. I'd not touch it for half his asking price :v .

All great replies. Thanks. Seller also has a Lyman .50 GPR, two bullet or roundball molds (.50 and .54) and about 30 cans of powder. He Said he will just give me the powder since by law he can't sell it. I'm gonna try to work a deal on all of it this weekend.

Personally unless I got a real good price or it was a discontinued or hard to find revolver I would not buy an Italian C&B revolver 2nd. hand.

Agree as well. I did once though :surrender: . My 1849 pocket by FIE was on GB for $149.00and I was only bidder. Was in excellent shape, accurate and timed great. After maybe 5-6 trips to the woods it developed a weird issue, appears a single nipple has a very short stem and caps stopped popping (worked fine for long time?) :idunno: NOBODY has a nipple, not trac, dixie er nobody. Fleshto turned me onto his pal and I just fed exed the nipple for hopeful repro yesterday. Other than that it was a very good buy. But I agree.....big risk, especially brass framed :nono:

I am not anywhere near experienced as you all in BP, but isnt the pic I linked to showing it as a steel frame? Like I said, I'm still a noob.

I dunno? I didnt look at the pic.... :redface: :surrender: . Just commenting. If steel much better odds its good to go. Lotta folk shoot a cylinder back full with brass till it is no longer hitting a barn and sell on GB.

I looked....appears steel. w/the powder Id likely BUY IT and the gpr

Yes. The 1851 shown in the photo is a steel frame revolver.

All of the Colts (except the London Colts) had a steel frame with a brass trigger guard and a brass grip strap.

The original Colts brass trigger guard and grip strap were silver plated by the factory.

As others have said, Pietta makes a 1851 Colt for less than the price the guy is asking for his used gun and Pietta's quality has improved to now be the equal of Uberti.

That's no deal at all. Contact Cabela's and get a new one. Pieta makes a quality gun and if they send you something sub-prime you can just send it back for a good one.

I was thinking of starting at $400 and only go up to $450 for all. Good call.

He bought out a family friends gun collection and has no use or does not use black powder is what he told me.

Richard Eames said:
At $14.50 per pound why is he giving it away?
Where do you get powder for $14.50 now-a-days, around here the going price is $23 to $26 a pound?

Toomuch said:
Richard Eames said:
At $14.50 per pound why is he giving it away?
Where do you get powder for $14.50 now-a-days, around here the going price is $23 to $26 a pound?
Because if you don't have a Black Powder dealer License it's illegal to sell, (Federal offense)

if the powder goes with it. then it is worth $300. if you ca get the rifle and the powder then $450 is a good price. I would but it for that.

Latest posts

Back