• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

two issues with revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These may be the same issue. I just got this (used) and fired it for the first time. Sometimes the hammer moves back a little and jams up the cylinder and trigger. If I push it forward with my thumb everything works as normal. I think the nipples may be a little too long. Also is it possible the blow-back is pushing the hammer back off the fired nipple a bit? I am using CCI "magnum" primers. Would "regular" primers be helpful? BTW, I think this is a 1851 model in .44

To me what you are describing is that the nipples are well used and the flash hole is burned out on them -- replace the nipples with new ones and see if the condition goes away.

If the hammer is moving sounds like you need to increase the tension on the hammer spring. Here is a photo of the spring tension adjustment screw on an 1858 grip
1604607444529.jpeg

I'd say nipples are burnt out. Even at half tension the hammer shouldn't blow back if nipples are good.
Primer wouldn't cause it.

I'd say nipples are burnt out. Even at half tension the hammer shouldn't blow back if nipples are good.
Primer wouldn't cause it.
Sometimes the hammer moves back a little and jams up the cylinder and trigger. If I push it forward with my thumb everything works as normal.
OP is not describing a burnt out nipples. Even if the nipples were burnt out, the hammer spring tension, if correct, would keep the hammer on the nipple after the gun was fired. If you have to assist the hammer to get back into position in the frame and on the nipple, the hammer spring is out of adjustment or worn out, at least in my opinion.
Gun is ‘new’ to OP. Who knows what the previous owner did with the gun or why they moved it on to the OP.

There isn't one on a Colt style revolver. BTW, there is absolutely no need for "magnum" caps on a revolver.

The revolver's hammer has to fall completely down to allow the mechanism to reset. If it stops just short of that point it won't reset and will lock up so that you can't turn the cylinder or recock the hammer. It sounds like that's happening and when you push forward with your thumb on the hammer you are completing the cycle. I suggest you carefully disassemble the gun looking for spent caps down inside the mechanism. It's a common problem with Colts and they can get inside the action or between the breast of the hammer and the frame stopping the hammer form completing its fall. It's also possible the gun has never been apart and there may be chips from the machining operation inside held by the grease binding or blocking the action. Pull the hammer back to full cock and holding it back with your thumb pull the trigger. Slowly lower the hammer with your thumb holding the trigger back at the same time. Just before the hammer meets the nipple you should hear a click. That is the "reset" I was talking about. Also to completely reset the mechanism as you cock the gun the hammer must travel ever so slightly past the position in which the sear engages the full cock notch.

If the nipples are too long it could cause the problem. Track of the Wolf has dimensions for nipples that you could compare yours to or simply buy a correct set. I have yet to see a revolver nipple burned out to the point that it gave trouble but I wouldn't rule out a mainspring issue either.

Nipples - Track of the Wolf

That looks a whole lot like my 1860 Colt Army. The stepped diameter cylinder is to allow .44 cal, increased from the lesser caliber 1851.

Yes, some disassembly is required. There is either debris or severe rust in the internals of the piece. It is not difficult to take apart, just use a screwdriver that Fits the screws well, and take care not to slip and scratch the exterior. Inspect, clean and lubricate the internal parts. Check for broken parts.

The nipples do not appear to be overly long. I don't believe they are part of the problem. But replacements would be nice.

edit: It's good that you have experience with firearms. I would be concerned about someone with no skill being handed a pistol like this, and the means to load and fire it, without supervision. Bad things can happen with a piece like this, if one is incompetent or neglectful.

Last edited:
burnt out nipples really suck & hurt. the caps don't stay on and you get a lot of debris from them.

OK, I figured out a few things. First, the nipples are actually new. Second, I took the revolver apart and it is clean and nothing is peculiar in there. I figured out that everything works properly when it is inert. As soon as I cap the cylinders this problem begins to manifest (locking up). I switched a nipple with one from a different revolver. I worked the action with some of the original nipples, replaced nipples and no nipples. Everything works. Then I capped the nipples and found that two of the nipples that came on the cylinder cause this problem consistently. Comparing them to the others that do not cause the issue, they are longer. Now shooting it, it will cycle to and fire a chamber with a long nipple but then it is locked up. So, I shortened the nipples to the same length that seems to work. Now it cycles when it is capped, however one cap will not discharge so I guess it is too short. I will replace that one today and see if I finally got this licked. Thanks for the help! I'll report back later

It sounds like those longer nipples weren't allowing the gun to complete its cycle. Thanks for posting your results for all to see. Often we never hear from the OP after they fix the issue.

UPDATE:
I filed some of the nipples a few thousandths at a time until the revolver seemed to function. I then ordered some new nipples that were closest to the length I filed. Installed them yesterday and capped them. The revolver cycles and discharges the cap. It should work with a load in each cylinder but I will check that later this week. Seems to have been an issue with long nipples.

Back