• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1851 navy colt hammer issue. Help!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandaiddave

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all! First time owner of a pietta 1851 navy colt. I'm having an issue with my hammer and a specific chamber. For some reason the hammer will only pull back to a 1/4 cock then stops. When i pull the hammer back a second time on that chamber it goes to full cock just fine and the cylinder will continue to cycle. Idk what the issue is here. I've only shot 6 rounds through it so far.

I had a Rogers and Spencer do that same thing to me. I pulled it completely apart, cleaned it all very thoroughly with toothpicks and tiny brushes, greased it good, and slapped it back together. The issue seems to have fixed itself.

Your Colt will be easier to disassemble than my R&S. Watch a couple videos on it if you're unsure.

Best of luck,

RM

And while you have it apart check for tiny burrs and very slightly stone them with a fine stone. Don’t change anything just a light rub and leave the edges square.

WRT the OP's specific problem, I was wondering if maybe he could tell after only six shots whether the block was hitting the cylinder early on that chamber? Maybe the lead-in groove for the stop is too small? Would that produce the behavior described?

Don't know if it could be the problem but something to check is whether the trigger and bolt spring is long enough to properly engage. I found one that was short enough that reassembly was a really ticklish operation. And if you didn't get it in right the revolver behaved similar to what you're telling.

Will a Wolff "Colt" wire spring replacement fit the Pietta's? If so it mite be a good fix, for mine any how.

I found this video to be very informative about how improve the action on a BP cap & ball revolver:

That guy's shooting videos would give me the willies when he would show himself pouring powder into the chambers directly from the flask. That's a muzzleloading 101 error. He also had one where he showed that a Colt's wedge screw had to be removed before pulling the wedge from the arbor.

That guy's shooting videos would give me the willies when he would show himself pouring powder into the chambers directly from the flask.
He's using a flask with a spout that holds a defined amount of powder. You push the button while holding thumb over spout opening to release powder into the spout, then close the button to seal the flask, and then pour the measured contents of the spout into the chamber. You can get different sized spouts that swap in and out for different amounts of powder charges. Saves the step of filling a powder measure, which I always find to be a good way to spill some powder, anyway.

Last edited:
He's using a flask with a spout that holds a defined amount of powder. You push the button while holding thumb over spout opening to release powder into the spout, then close the button to seal the flask, and then pour the measured contents of the spout into the chamber. You can get different sized spouts that swap in and out for different amounts of powder charges. Saves the step of filling a powder measure, which I always find to be a good way to spill some powder, anyway.
I know. I've used one for years and have different spout lengths, but would never load that charge into a recently fired cylinder. It's odd that people are so paranoid about filling revolver chambers with grease after loading a tight-fitting ball in order to prevent a chain fire, but would trust the spout valve to close completely and prevent a half-pound of black powder from going off in their hand.

I know. I've used one for years and have different spout lengths, but would never load that charge into a recently fired cylinder. ....
If that's what he's doing you have a valid point. Keep in mind, however, that what occurs next in a video may, in real time, have taken place after a considerable interval.

Last edited:
I know. I've used one for years and have different spout lengths, but would never load that charge into a recently fired cylinder. It's odd that people are so paranoid about filling revolver chambers with grease after loading a tight-fitting ball in order to prevent a chain fire, but would trust the spout valve to close completely and prevent a half-pound of black powder from going off in their hand.
I do this method every day at range.
There will not be hot cinders in chamber a minute after firing.
you cant feel the powder flask opening snap closed?
If it not completely closed its gonna spill powder all out the chamber and all over the range table. That may give you a clue.

As a cowboy action shooter, I pour directly from my Colt style flask with a measured spout and valve. I'll shoot my stage, (typically 10 shots from rifle, 10 from pistols & 4+ from shotgun in varying orders) then move to the unloading table and remove any cap fragments and show rifle & shotgun to be clear. Then, I'll take over unloading table duties (observing that guns coming off the line are clear of any hulls or cases, etc., in effect, ensuring guns are empty. While doing this I'll set up my loading stand and begin the process of recharging my pistols. By the time I start this process several minutes have passed, and in over 37 years of competition, have encountered nary an incident, neither mine, nor anyone else's who's using a C&B revolver. I'm not a "here, hold my beer and watch this" type, but neither am I overly cautious where experience has told me I'm safe. I'm not criticising anyone who does it differently, and by the same token I don't accept your criticism that I'm somehow less safe in my procedures.

Latest posts

Back