• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Twist in a 32 swamp barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking of having a gun built with a 32 caliber swamped Rice barrel. The only thing is it is in 1-70 twist. Most of the smaller caliber barrels that I've seen have a faster twist. Will I be able to shoot light squirrel hunting PRB loads out of it?

I have no experience with a .32, but I do have a slow-twist .30. It has a 1:56" twist, and it's very accurate at any range with loads from 15-30 grains 3F Goex. Group at 100 yards with 25 grains is slightly more than 2".

Spence

The 32 cal. Douglas 1 in 48 I built in the 70's was and still is a real good shooter with loads from 10/15 to 45 grains fff, shot the best with 45 grains, won and placed in a lot of matches. right Ed?
Hermit

The barrel on my .32 is a Green Mountain, I have no idea what twist it is, it's not stamped. But I get superb accuracy with a 25 gr. hunting load, and the 6 gr. I use in my back yard on sqwerls and bunnies. What fun!!!

Are you sure about that twist rate for a .32 caliber?

The reason I ask is the Rice website says they use a 1:48 twist for the .32 and .40 caliber barrels.
http://www.ricebarrels.com/

A 1:48 twist is also the twist rate that Green Mountain used for a .32 back when they were making muzzleloading barrels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rifleman1776 said:
Interesting question.
My thought is: No.

That would be my initial impression as well.

The modified Greenhill would say you could get away with a 1:40 twist in a 32.

My 38 cal is a 1:48 and don't think I would want any slower with that.

If your goal is "less powder" then "more twist" is in order.

My CVA ,32 Grey Squirrel rifle has a 1:56 twist. It shoots one hole groups at 25 yds with 22grns of 3f, providing I do my part. I have shot it out to 75 yds, and get 2.5 inch groups. The wind really blows that little 32 pill around. I try to limit my shots to 50 yds or less.

I would not want a 32 with a 1-70 twist. 1-30 to 1-48 would be better. A faster twist allows you to use less powder and eat closer to the bullet hole.

Some are straight, some are swamped.

Why swamped?

If there were any caliber barrel that can be heavy, the little .32 would be the candidate. It has the least material removed from the inside.

Also, .32 caliber was sometimes used back in the days before straight barrels became popular.
At that time, almost all barrels were swamped so, if someone was building a .32 from that time period, a swamped barrel would be the only way to go.

Zonie said:
If there were any caliber barrel that can be heavy, the little .32 would be the candidate. It has the least material removed from the inside.
Or you could just use a smaller barrel. My .30 is in a straight .665" octagonal barrel 38" long, and I never thought of it as heavy or poorly balanced.

Spence

....and my .36 SMR (38") has a straight 3/4" barrel that feels great yet still has a shade of "muzzle hang".

Yeah, I would expect the barrel to be thinner in the first place. I have originals and they are... But more modern than to be swamped, they're caplocks, by that time.

I am ordering a Rice swamped barrel in .32 cal with a special twist of 1-30. Plan to use it for hunting squirrels with 22 LR velocity.
Jim

Back