• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Tulle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmanderson1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, for my first post I would like to get some opinions on TVM's Fusil de Chasse. I am a college student, naturalist writer, and I was looking for a flintlock fowling piece in the French style that I could use for hunting, as well as just general shooting. I have been in love with the Tulle style of flintlock since I was around 15, and have wanted one ever since. I am also extremely engaged in the study of colonial america, and the reaches of New France, and french influence in North America... also I am taking French so that is a plus I reckon. Either way, I have seen almost all positive reviews regarding TVM, but wanted to get a final opinion before I purchased something.

Also, I am not worried about being 100% historically correct as of yet. My budget doesn't allow me to really get into something fully custom, and I want to get something that I can use without worrying about whilst I learn the route of using a flintlock.. I want to have a user for the time, and with the TVm Fusil being around $1300, and looking the part, it seems like a good way to go. I am just seeing if anyone can confirm or deny what I have heard about them, or if anyone can attest to the quality of their products. I want something that is fairly no-frills that will last. I plan on going hunting in several states, as well as Quebec, and want something I can rely on. Plus being the envy of everyone in the History and Anthropology departments of the university will be a plus.

I look forward to what the experts (you) have to say!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my eye on NWS for some time as well. I am going to give them a call tomorrow to see about some options they have, but all in all, the early english looks pretty nice (still has the styling of the French influence). :)

TVM makes a pretty good gun. At this time you have a lot of makers to choose from. Google "Mike Brooks Muzzleloaders". I have seen some of his work and it is very good. I think you would get a more historically correct gun for about the same expense as a TVM.

Now is the best time to shop for your Tulle.

You may also want to give Tip Curtis a call to see what he has. His quality is great and at a reasonable price.
Centermark also specializes in Tulle's.

I've heard some good things about tvm as well as bad. Never personally purchased a rifle or fowler from them though...I think I would shop around before making my decision... Try Jackie Brown, Tip Curtis, Tom Knight... These guys are all prolly more cost effective than TVM and would delivery the same if not better quality.
Tom Knight is building a southern mountain rifle for me....and I will say he is easy to work with and a real nice fella.

If HCness is what you desire. Not all FDC are equal. I can name three guys who can do a proper one. Its all about research and your own standards. Good luck in your quest.

Hi,
If you like to have a french smoothbore and one that should look and feel like the ones used back then, i can highly recommend alex efremenko.
Have a look at his facebook page first, before you make a decision.

juste mes deux sol :grin:

Mohawk_1750 said:
Hi,
If you like to have a french smoothbore and one that should look and feel like the ones used back then, i can highly recommend alex efremenko.
Have a look at his facebook page first, before you make a decision.

juste mes deux sol :grin:
I'm duly, and favorably impressed. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

There are 2 companies named TVM. You are likely referring to Matt Avance of Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading in Natchez, MS which makes mostly finished guns (rather than Tennessee Valley Manufacturing of Corinth, MS which mostly makes components rather than finished gun.)

Matt and Cassie of TVM in Natchez make good guns for a reasonable price. I have one of the first when Matt and Toni bought the business from Jack many years ago.

Be aware that most of the French guns will bump your cheek when fired due to their odd stock design. The only one that I have held which does not do this is from Tip Curtis. I went to look at one a while back, but my buddy bought it right away as we saw the gun. Last word from Tip was that he did not have many on hand, but this was a while back. (I generally buy in-the-white for my own reasons.) Just to ease your confusion when you call - he calls them St Etiennes but pronounces this "SanAteens".

I have a very plain Tulle Ordinaire from Jackie Brown and got a lot for my money. I was not in a hurry and got a simple field grade and functioning gun which worked for my needs. Not the most accurate gun that I own, but its use was mostly re-enacting. It did take rabbits and squirrels, but I was never thrilled with the ability to put round balls into deer and stopped trying. It also busts my cheekbone pretty well when fired with a full load round ball hunting shots. After looking at originals and handling many modern reproductions, I think this is not the fault of the makers, but is part of shooting this style of gun.

After enduring enough, I moved to an English Fowler from Clay Smith. Clay Smith I am still working on that one, so I will withhold final comment - except to say that so far I am quite pleased with the gun, price and builder. However, expect to pay a bit more for one of these - as you will from Mike Brooks.

Not trying to lead you anywhere with these comments, just tossing out comments for your perusal. Feel free to PM me if you have any direct questions.

I wish you every success with your gun!

CS

if youve never owned a piece by TVM how can you comment on who makes a better firearm than them?? However, I agree with you that Tom Knight is an excellent choice much better than Jackie Brown....

Jackie Brown.....sorry but no way I could in good conscience recommend that maker.
This is what I got....
A functioning gun way past due but not what ordered....I found out I was lucky. Eventually had to threaten with mail fraud.
I hate this because he seems like a nice guy but... :bull:
I got Drama Soap Opera Drama.
My friend got a handsome looking smooth rifle he has to seal with RTV to keep the lock from blowing off. It needs a total re work if it can be salvaged....Send it back...Are you kidding. At least he has something in hand now.
When a "maker" sales a in the white or completed gun for a hundred bucks over the cost of quality parts there has to be some reason. :hmm:

Apparently, there are various understandings of what means "in the white". ???

When I have some time to kill and wanna dream a little I go to Mike Brooks site. The longguns there look like someone pulled them from their closet and told you, "this is the gun my great great great granddaddy carried when he crossed the Appalachians."
I'd love to see him build one, and even more watch him antique one.
Love his work!
ET

If you buy a smoothie from TVM make sure the barrel is tapered as every known original was. I didn't know to ask about this and they sure as heck don't mention it otherwise.

Otherwise, like mine, you end up with a gun that is heavy, muzzle heavy and with a barrel that looks like a length of pipe.

Birdwatcher

Latest posts

Back