• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel makers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Light 24ga barrels are going to have to be ordered. Hoyt, FCI and Rayle as well as Rice will make you a light barrel. These aren't a standard item and there will be a wait, around 10 months last time a ordered a custom barrel from Rice. I have a Dandy 24 bore that Ed Rayle made, probably weighs less than 3lbs and is 46".
Hoyt has my trade gun barrel patterns. A oct//rnd type "G" at 48" and 20 bore that will make a 6lb gun and a French trade gun barrel that is oct/fading to rnd in 20 bore at 53 1/4" that will make a 7 1/2lb gun. Both of these patterns were taken exactly off of originals.
Thank you for the valuable information!

Funny ...started through my barrel and such in the corner and ...there's one of Tommy's Rice barrels ! Completely forgot ! Duh ! And I have one also to French length and specs , same length as the Rice so ...perfect . The Netting barrel hasn't had the flats ground yet so will be a bit lighter later ...any who ..... Rice , 44" , 20 ga. , 3.7 pds. ..flats are 12" long , good for a Fusil de Chasse.......The Netting barrel 3.2 pds. .... Its not a huge deal but I dont care for the drop off on modern Oct. to round barrels . The originals weren't like that . They just kind of faded into the round or at least weren't so abrupt of a change , drop off ....some are worse than others . No biggy , just an observation . This Rice barrel is a nice looking barrel . Wall thickness at muzzle is .050 which is great !

Attachments

• IMG_20230609_103057.jpg
    IMG_20230609_103057.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230609_103110.jpg
    IMG_20230609_103110.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Looks great and perfect weight . Mine are slightly lighter but thats just splitting hairs . Very nice ....

My scale says it is a bit more than 3 pounds so not as light as I thought I remembered.

Attachments

• 2E525073-1CC0-4CDF-9919-D0B3A7AD28F8.jpeg
    2E525073-1CC0-4CDF-9919-D0B3A7AD28F8.jpeg
    444.6 KB · Views: 0
  • C51AED8A-C721-4C27-B1D3-53795DCC08DF.jpeg
    C51AED8A-C721-4C27-B1D3-53795DCC08DF.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 7C64DD08-9752-464E-87D9-786C3A1D784D.jpeg
    7C64DD08-9752-464E-87D9-786C3A1D784D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
What or who is FCI?

Charles Burton​

FCI Barrels (Flintlock Construction Inc.) was established by Burton in 2007. He creates custom muzzleloading rifle and smoothbore barrels that are made from 12L14 steel and are shot for group before shipping. Caliber sizes range from .29 to .69, depending on the size and type of barrel ordered. Smoothbore Trade Gun barrels with shorter octagons, 2 wedding bands and double taper to thin muzzle up to 48 inches long are available. Pistol barrels are available straight octagon rifled; tapered octagon rifled; swamped; octagon to round smoothbore; tapered round smoothbore; with limited brass barrel inventory (call for availability 606-780-7709).

https://fcibarrels.tripod.com/

Larry Horrigan is a barrel maker in SW Michigan. Alex Efremenko has used his barrels in his French reproductions.
CUSTOM SMOOTH BORES
J & L Horrigan Ent.
Custom turned smooth bore barrels
Larry Horrigan 269-793-3265
Cell 269-845-0460

[email protected]
Thanks for the info. Alex does great work. I have been in contact with him and keep an eye out whenever his pieces appear.

I've got a 20 gauge fowler built by martin9, Wes Martin. He used a rice type G barrel to make a kind of a take on a John Newcomer/Hershel House fowler.
It definitely lighter and balances better than a Jim Cambers Pennsylvania. Bonus is it has a beefier stock that fits better. Sure like it.

Last edited:
I was messing around in my CAD software earlier today. I was able to create 3D models of a few Rice profiles. I wonder if there’s a shop that could make them? A group buy of a particular profile?

Good day everyone. I am wanting to build a French inspired Fowler/fusil/trade gun. Something around 24 gauge possibly. I’m searching for barrel makers. It seems most makers keep the same outside profile no matter the caliber instead of maintaining barrel wall thickness based on caliber; a completely understandable move. Am I correct in my research? If so, who are some folks I could reach out to have a barrel re-profiled or make one from scratch?

I am leaning towards a barrel similar to this.

Back