• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel makers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day everyone. I am wanting to build a French inspired Fowler/fusil/trade gun. Something around 24 gauge possibly. I’m searching for barrel makers. It seems most makers keep the same outside profile no matter the caliber instead of maintaining barrel wall thickness based on caliber; a completely understandable move. Am I correct in my research? If so, who are some folks I could reach out to have a barrel re-profiled or make one from scratch?

I am leaning towards a barrel similar to this.

You won't get that from a barrel maker, as builders like Ken Netting and Rob M. (who posts on here) profile their barrels. You could ask Rob if he would profile you a KN barrel, as Rob does an incredible taper/profile job! To give you an idea, he's making me a 48" 62-cal Type G and it'll be around 6-pounds, depending on the wood density et al.

Centermark makes their alleged French Fusil de Chasse (FdC) in 62 or 54 bore and both use the same barrel blank and that wall on that 54 is THICK; dayum thing weighs almost 9-pounds for a mere 42" barrel!

Oh, if truly going 'French' and a FdC ... you'd really want no smaller than a 62-cal bore and the barrel should be at least 44" or > ...
As a bonus, besides being historically correct, a 62-bore/20-gauge fowler is absolutely THE BEST all-around smoothie going!

You won't get that from a barrel maker, as builders like Ken Netting and Rob M. (who posts on here) profile their barrels. You could ask Rob if he would profile you a KN barrel, as Rob does an incredible taper/profile job! To give you an idea, he's making me a 48" 62-cal Type G and it'll be around 6-pounds, depending on the wood density et al.

Centermark makes their alleged French Fusil de Chasse (FdC) in 62 or 54 bore and both use the same barrel blank and that wall on that 54 is THICK; dayum thing weighs almost 9-pounds for a mere 42" barrel!

Oh, if truly going 'French' and a FdC ... you'd really want no smaller than a 62-cal bore and the barrel should be at least 44" or > ...
As a bonus, besides being historically correct, a 62-bore/20-gauge fowler is absolutely THE BEST all-around smoothie going!
Thank you for taking the time to reply. You have inspired me to open my options to 20 gauge. Your future gun sounds exactly what I am looking for. Sounds like it will be a dream to shoot!

Some barrel makers have produced close to what you are looking for. I happened on Rice smooth bore that is labeled “Type G” that is very light, very thin walled. I don’t know if this was a special order or if they periodically run them. Good luck with your project!

Some barrel makers have produced close to what you are looking for. I happened on Rice smooth bore that is labeled “Type G” that is very light, very thin walled. I don’t know if this was a special order or if they periodically run them. Good luck with your project!
Thank you. I will have to reach out to Rice for the barrel you mentioned.

I bought a Rice .50 smoothbore back in '06. It is 44" octagon/round and very light in profile. I don't remember the exact measurements but it worked well for a Bucks County reproduction.

Attachments

• LR18.jpg
    LR18.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 0
Good day everyone. I am wanting to build a French inspired Fowler/fusil/trade gun. Something around 24 gauge possibly. I’m searching for barrel makers. It seems most makers keep the same outside profile no matter the caliber instead of maintaining barrel wall thickness based on caliber; a completely understandable move. Am I correct in my research? If so, who are some folks I could reach out to have a barrel re-profiled or make one from scratch?

I am leaning towards a barrel similar to this.
Yeah , I hate when makers use the same outside dimensions on all their barrels ...I understand their reasoning , and the vast majority of folks dont seem to care but ... I dont care for it . The heavy reproductions of modern Fowler's and trade guns just dont accurately emulate the originals . Some makers being better than others . Colerain barrels would make wonderful wall guns , LOL .. Like some others have said , Rice makes a nice barrel . My buddy Tommy just bought a dozen and they are very good looking barrels . The wall thickness at the muzzle is great . They are still a little too heavy but not by much esp. when compared to other brands . I can't remember how long their flats are though . I have looked at so many guns and pictures of guns that have the flats 13 , 14 " long .... I dont know why and when they extend beyond the entry pipe , esp. on a N.W. trade gun which had very short flats , .....they look ridiculous and add unnecessary weight the the gun . When you have the rare opportunity to handle an original the first thing that you notice is their light weight , an attribute demanded by the natives for their trade guns , mentioned time and time again in HB company records . I sure love lugging around a 5 1/2 - 6 pd. fowler ! and the balance is great . I'm certainly biased toward a 20 ga. barrel for my builds but I do wish I had a way to obtain D.O.M. steel with an I.D. of .58 so I could have the option of 24 ga. but thats not the case . The DOM we can get is 625 ( actually 19 ga.) and .560 ( 28 ga. ) so i stick with the .625 since a lot of originals were 20 ga. and thats as close as I can come to it . I've been collecting measurements from originals that I've come across and Ken Netting turns the tubes to a long taper for me , to my dimensions , then I grind the flats at the breech . He doesn't offer flats on his barrels , he has no way of doing them , no mill . Good shooting barrels and light weight just like the originals . I'm making a Fusil de Chasse now and its in the roughed in stage now and its 6.3 pds. with a 44" barrel . My Carolina guns usually weight 5.5-6 pds.with 42" - 46" barrel . I sent a N.W. trade gun to Texas with a 48" barrel and it was 6 1/8 pds. Fun stuff ! :)

Last edited:
I gotta look up that " Type G " barrel ! Sounds intriguing !

Yeah , I hate when makers use the same outside dimensions on all their barrels ...I understand their reasoning , and the vast majority of folks dont seem to care but ... I dont care for it . The heavy reproductions of modern Fowler's and trade guns just dont accurately emulate the originals . Some makers being better than others . Colerain barrels would make wonderful wall guns , LOL .. Like some others have said , Rice makes a nice barrel . My buddy Tommy just bought a dozen and they are very good looking barrels . The wall thickness at the muzzle is great . They are still a little too heavy but not by much esp. when compared to other brands . I can't remember how long their flats are though . I have looked at so many guns and pictures of guns that have the flats 13 , 14 " long .... I dont know why and when they extend beyond the entry pipe , esp. on a N.W. trade gun which had very short flats , .....they look ridiculous and add unnecessary weight the the gun . When you have the rare opportunity to handle an original the first thing that you notice is their light weight , an attribute demanded by the natives for their trade guns , mentioned time and time again in HB company records . I sure love lugging around a 5 1/2 - 6 pd. fowler ! and the balance is great . I'm certainly biased toward a 20 ga. barrel for my builds but I do wish I had a way to obtain D.O.M. steel with an I.D. of .58 so I could have the option of 24 ga. but thats not the case . The DOM we can get is 625 ( actually 19 ga.) and .560 ( 28 ga. ) so i stick with the .625 since a lot of originals were 20 ga. and thats as close as I can come to it . I've been collecting measurements from originals that I've come across and Ken Netting turns the tubes to a long taper for me , to my dimensions , then I grind the flats at the breech . He doesn't offer flats on his barrels , he has no way of doing them , no mill . Good shooting barrels and light weight just like the originals . I'm making a Fusil de Chasse now and its in the roughed in stage now and its 6.3 pds. with a 44" barrel . My Carolina guns usually weight 5.5-6 pds.with 42" - 46" barrel . I sent a N.W. trade gun to Texas with a 48" barrel and it was 6 1/8 pds. Fun stuff ! :)
Exactly. I have read accounts of original barrels being feather weight compared to what is offered now. What kills me is I am a machinist by trade however, I do not have the liberty to work on personal projects using company equipment. I like the Rice barrel profile from the link in my original post because it features fading flats versus flats terminating at a wedding band transition; a feature of some early contract barrels. Some originals even have a “sighting flat” on top. In what little research I have done at this point, haven’t seen any reference to them French accounts however I have seen reminders from the crown to Tulle of the specifics. The author alluded to some gunsmiths at Tulle taking creative liberties. Maybe some builders at Tulle did add top flats. Lots of speculation. I would love to see some originals. They’re not common in my corner of the US even though it was controlled by the French East India Company.

Light 24ga barrels are going to have to be ordered. Hoyt, FCI and Rayle as well as Rice will make you a light barrel. These aren't a standard item and there will be a wait, around 10 months last time a ordered a custom barrel from Rice. I have a Dandy 24 bore that Ed Rayle made, probably weighs less than 3lbs and is 46".
Hoyt has my trade gun barrel patterns. A oct//rnd type "G" at 48" and 20 bore that will make a 6lb gun and a French trade gun barrel that is oct/fading to rnd in 20 bore at 53 1/4" that will make a 7 1/2lb gun. Both of these patterns were taken exactly off of originals.

Back