• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Tennessee Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All I am very sorry for posting two threads in a row, I just have many questions about my first flintlock rifle.

Hello! Does anyone know anything about Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading rifles? I was recommended them on another forum. I am looking for my first flintlock rifle but I want it to be of good quality but not excessively pricey. While I was originally eyeing a "plains" style rifle I just love how the Tennessee rifle from this company looks.
http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com/tennessee-rifle

I understand these are American made? I would be buying the Basic model with steel parts as I am not a fan of shiny brass. Everything else would be standard. I am thinking of .50 caliber and with a 38" barrel.

I know next to nothing about these guns. I am wondering if they are well built? How are the locks that they use? Are they accurate?

Thanks for the help on someone new to this field. I have owned caplock handguns for years but want a fintlock rifle.

PS: I do not make kits. I would be buying this gun pre-made.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Early Lancaster from TVM that I received this last spring. 50 cal. 36 inch barrel. Great rifle. Fit & finish is perfect. I like it so much that I just ordered another in 32 cal. for squirrel hunting just this last November.

Earl,

First, don't apologize for posting. That's what the whole Forum is about! :grin:

TVM rifle posts abound on this forum. If you do some searching and reading here, you'll find opinions galore.

TVM is not considered a "production" gun. Most would call it "semi-custom" because you can order things you want and have choices you can make to have the gun fit you better, like length-of-pull. You can choose swamped or straight barrels, brass or steel, etc. So this is not like getting a Lyman or Pedersoli, etc. factory gun.

I own a .40 caliber "Early Lancaster" from TVM. A positive is that it is extremely accurate. Mine has a Chambers lock which most would agree is a top-quality lock. You can probably talk to them about what lock brands they carry. Get the Chambers if they offer one for the gun you want. Other components are good quality. For the price and amount of time you wait for one, they are a fair value.

The negatives are some of the finer details...at least on my rifle, others here will say these do not exist on theirs. So I'm only commenting on MY rifle here. To aid in speed of production TVM has a fairly thick web between the barrel channel and the ramrod channel/hole. This makes my forestock appear more "slab sided" than it should. I have seen this on many TVM's I've seen for sale on Track of the Wolf, so I do know this is not just mine. Mine, and many others I've seen, have a "clunky" looking cheekpiece. Thick and "unrefined." One day I'll fix that up a bit as well. If they took 15 more minutes in that one area, they could have a much nicer look, but they are in the business of pumping out lower-cost rifles, not works of art.

Also to aid in speed of production, they route out the ramrod hole just a few inches back from the entrance instead of drilling a "real" hole. This means you can look right into the ramrod channel from the barrel inlet (barrel removed) which is not a practice I've seen anywhere else. To me, this weakens that area of the gun with unnecessary wood removal, but since people aren't breaking stocks on TVM's with any regularity that I know of, it's probably no big deal, but I don't like the practice. From an architecuture standpoint, TVM themselves state that they are not trying to make a replica of any particular gun. At least they are honest about it and it's one reason they are lower cost because they do not concern themselves with those kinds of specifics. Lastly, mine had a nose cap installation that looked like it was done by a blind man. Since they epoxied the darned thing on, it was extremely difficult to fix and make look right. And this one had Matt Avance's name on the barrel, but it's hard to believe that someone with Matt's experience could have let that out the door, so made me question who really built it. I have heard they have apprentices doing a lot of the work.

So net...I think for the price they are not a bad value. I personally don't like some of their build practices, but it doesn't affect the accuracy of the rifle.

I would check out Tip Curtis as an alternative to consider. Tip Curtis Frontier Shop 4445 Jernigan Rd. Cross Plains,Tn.37049 615-654-4445 He usually has a bunch of semi-custom guns in stock and many here would recommend him. Most would also recommend to CALL him vs trying to email.

Good luck in your search for the perfect first flintlock....it WON'T be your last!!!

I have a TVM Late Lancaster in.54cal. It has a swamped barrel and Chambers lock. I asked for a plain maple stock, but there is some curl in it which is nice. I have no qualms about TVM, they were excellent to work with. I gave them the length of pull and the options I wanted and they came thru. I would have no hesitation for them to build me another rifle.

I wouls also quote Spikebuck's recommendation "I would check out Tip Curtis as an alternative to consider. Tip Curtis Frontier Shop 4445 Jernigan Rd. Cross Plains,Tn.37049 615-654-4445 He usually has a bunch of semi-custom guns in stock and many here would recommend him. Most would also recommend to CALL him vs trying to email."
I have seen his rifles and for the money they are very nice. A woman shooter friend has a flinter and it is a fine gun and she shoots it very well. If you look in Feb's Muzzle Blasts page 22 under Ladies Hunter Championship she placed 9th.

If you go the TVM route at least prevail upon them to put a proper late English style lock on it instead of the anachronistic Siler.

So would you folks say these are better than a Pedersoli? Are the locks better?

Yes on both counts.

But do look at Tip Curtis' guns before you make a decision. You can probably find a few here in the photo section with a search.

While I have never owned either a Tip Curtis or a TVM rifle, I know several people who own one or the other. They are both good quality guns and I've seen both win matches. IMHO the Tip Curtis rifles are better looking.

Who has been in business longer and will be, Pedersoli, enough said. How come the owner's wife left??????????????

Richard Eames said:

Who has been in business longer and will be, Pedersoli, enough said....
I don't agree.

If Pedersoli locks were superior to the locks made in the USA by folks like Chambers, L&R, Davis and a few more, you would hear of people buying Pedersoli's locks to make their custom builds.

It doesn't happen.

You would also see the top shooters at NMLRA events using their custom made rifles with Pedersoli locks on them.

Don't hold your breath while your waiting to find them.

I have a Pedersoli. While they aren't bad they are not great. My Lyman GPR will easily out group the Pedersoli , for that matter so will most of my TCs. Perhaps if Pedersoli would do a 1-66 twist for 45 & 50 cal. they would shoot better. Don't get me wrong, I like my Pedersoli, it's just not as good as it could be.

I started out with TVM. Now own three Tip Curtis rifles, and no TVM's. Wish I just started with Tip. Great rifle at a good price with no short cuts.

x2 Tip's guns are of the highest quality. Very accurate. Very well built. You will not be disappointed. Prices are very reasonable. I would order over the phone, sight unseen with no worries. He's that good. He doesn't do fancy engraving.
My first flinter was a Pedersoli. Replaced the lock with a L&R lock before 300 shots. Sold it cheap and glad to be rid of it. Looked at a TVR as a replacement but the quality of Tip's rifles were no comparison. Now own 4 of them.
If you do go to see him, plan on taking the day. He loves to talk and is a wealth of knowledge.
Will

I own a Tip Curtis rifle
Came with a swamped Green Mountain BBL.
M& G lock(Mold & Gun Shop)
built solid..you will need to add a wood sealer..finish.
He glued the nose cap on.
Have over a thousand shots across the m & G lock
not one issue.

I called him one day and I told him what I was looking for...bought it sight unseen..No regrets.

My vote hands down Tip Curtis..
I have held tvm rifles..Tip has the Advantage.

Ordered a Tennessee Poor Boy from them back in Jan. Did allot of research before I did. The only thing is the wait. 9 months. Yikes. But I'll be patient. I think it's a good choice.

I live in Europe, in Antwerp (Belgium)... For years we had practically one choice only, and that was Pedersoli (and one or two Spanish inferior factories). No hope of finding anybody who could make you even a semi custom gun. After many years of searching, comparing, saving, research, drueling over some fine guns here on the forum, I finally gave in and spent the money AND the considerable paperwork, and imported a TVM Iron Pennsylvania last year.
Usually I had to wait for several months before my Pedersolis were delivered (even more than a year for my latest Pedersoli Frontier)... I had my TVM in hand exactly 9 months after I decided to buy one - considering the long voyage from the shop - past customs, proofing, other administration for licenses etc. that was pretty quick in my book. Furthermore was this gun in every aspect better than the best Pedersoli I ever had or held ... better fit, better balance, better quality, handled better, looked better .... For years I was content with my Pedersoli guns, but now I wished I had opted for a TVM much sooner! I had to pay some 700 dollars more for transport, customs, TVA, taxes, proofing etc. , but this extra cost was more than worth it considering the quality of this TVM gun - I love it! For us "oversees" customers, TVM is a really good and affordable option if you do not want an of the rack factory gun...

I own more than one TVM rifle and wouldn't hesitate to get another if my wife would allow me to continue living. They carry Rice, GM, Longhammock, etc, barrels as well as various Chambers locks. While TVM guns are not patterned after any particular gun, they can certainly build you a custom, one-of-a-kind rifle. On occasion they do leave a little more wood on the stock than is necessary; but you give them dimensions. lop, wrist, etc, and that's what you will get. Pictured is my TVM Southern Mountain Rifle with a short 38" barrel; what about it is so "slab sided"?

Yep, that's bad alright. I will be more than happy to dispose of it for you, no charge. Sometimes I'm so generous I even amaze me. Fact, I'll take two:)

Back