• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Grand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW :v what an outstanding piece!!! The wait looks to be worthwhile. :hatsoff:
Use it in good health.
Dusty :wink:

Awesome gun, love the black walnut. Where did you get the blank? Would love a lead on your source since I am considering a similar build.

Kingfisher said:
Awesome gun, love the black walnut. Where did you get the blank? Would love a lead on your source since I am considering a similar build.
GOBY Walnut & Western Hardwoods, Portland, Oregon

Looks pretty nice, probably the best TVM I've seen. How wide is the butt plate ?

I don't know what you folks pay for your custom guns but it seems like 15 months is a terribly long wait considering the amount of cash put forth. What sort of wait time would you expect from some of the lesser known gun builders? Could anyone give specific examples ?

illuveatar said:
Looks pretty nice, probably the best TVM I've seen. How wide is the butt plate ?

I don't know what you folks pay for your custom guns but it seems like 15 months is a terribly long wait considering the amount of cash put forth. What sort of wait time would you expect from some of the lesser known gun builders? Could anyone give specific examples ?
Dim.jpg

My understanding is that TVM has one of the faster times. The fastest way is to buy a kit with all the parts and a pre-shaped stock and then find someone local, perhaps a gun club member, who can assemble and finish the rifle for you.

I'm building my own gun now from parts I've acquired over the past year. The total parts bill was around $600. Even at the slow rate I'm going I hope to have it finished inside of 6 months. Though I couldn't compete with the craftsmanship of a professionally built gun.

illuveatar said:
I'm building my own gun now from parts I've acquired over the past year. The total parts bill was around $600. Even at the slow rate I'm going I hope to have it finished inside of 6 months. Though I couldn't compete with the craftsmanship of a professionally built gun.
Then you're a good person to ask. First, where are you building this; do you have a dedicated wood shop, or maybe just a dedicated workbench area, with plenty of room and all the tools? Or is it more of a kitchen table type of project - well, maybe not actually the dining table, but you get what I mean - and you'll get to needing to do something and find you don't have the right tool and will have to go out and buy it. Could you perhaps post a photo of your in-progress project and your work area? How experienced were you at doing "home projects" when you started, meaning even though you may not have done a FL before, you felt comfortable starting such a project?

illuveatar said:

My wait was 2yrs and 4 months for my last rifle. It was all worth it in the end.

Trench said:
illuveatar said:

My wait was 2yrs and 4 months for my last rifle. It was all worth it in the end.
Yes it was. And not just a fine rifle but unique with the wear plate.You don't see many - if any - builds like that.

Number19 said:
Then you're a good person to ask. First, where are you building this; do you have a dedicated wood shop, or maybe just a dedicated workbench area, with plenty of room and all the tools? Or is it more of a kitchen table type of project - well, maybe not actually the dining table, but you get what I mean - and you'll get to needing to do something and find you don't have the right tool and will have to go out and buy it. Could you perhaps post a photo of your in-progress project and your work area? How experienced were you at doing "home projects" when you started, meaning even though you may not have done a FL before, you felt comfortable starting such a project?

I've got plenty of workspace in my garage for my project. I have most of the tools I will require too but I'm sure I'll have to run to the hardware store for something at some point.

My project has actually moved into the house so that I can keep an eye on my two young kids as I work. I carry most of my chisels, rasps, files ect in a toolbox and have a small vice attached to the island countertop in my kitchen.

I consider myself something of a jack of all trades. I do all the work on my vehicles, I've remodeled a few rooms in my house, rebuilt a couple motorcycles, made a working model submarine and I built the computer I'm typing on from individual components.

I prepared for my build by customizing a cheap CVA muzzleloader. Converted it to flintlock, replaced plastic hardware with brass pieces, added a patchbox, replaced sights, trigger unit and experimented with some carving techniques. The gun isn't pretty but when I was finished with it I felt pretty comfortable moving on to a bigger project.

illuveatar said:

The handful of builders I contacted ranged from about 1 to 2 years. My first gun took 1 year and I have been waiting 2 years for my second gun (different builder).

In many cases parts procurement contributes to the wait. With most of the barrel manufacturers running with a backlog it can add to this.

If you approach many gun builders with all the parts in hand or a quality kit like Chambers, the wait can be significantly reduced.

Enjoy, J.D.

Back