• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turtle carapace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been saving a turtle carapace with the intention of making a powder flask. It should hold about a pound. However, to date I have not come up with a suitable method for closing the ends. Carving and fitting wooden plugs seems intimidating. I've also thought about pine pitch and charcoal as was done to seal the seams on bark canoes. I could carve some antler in the shape of the turtle's head and neck to form a pouring spout.

Any good suggestions would be welcomed.

1678024204103.png

Use leather and pine pitch. Those very same things are used to make a basque bota bag. You could even make a pour spout out of it and it would look turtleish.

You could buy a latex lined bota and then modify to fit inside the shell, use pitch to secure it on the inside of the shell(it wouldn't need to be waterproof) and it would look like the inside of a turtle! Modify the nozzle to fit a spout and there you have it.

https://lastreszzz.com/en/wine-skins-for-sale/

Last edited:
If it were mine, I think that I would try to seal the opening(s) by applying some kitchen cling wrap tightly to the outside of the opening (double securing it with a layer of duct tape), then pouring some slow-setting epoxy inside (from the other end), sloshing it around on the inside of the wrap, to make an epoxy "wall" in the opening.

Once cured, the epoxy "wall" could then be drilled for a spout, then camo'd on the exterior with some snakeskin or other natural material.

IME, the best thing about trying something different is to find out if the idea actually works - if it does, it can be very satisfying.

If it doesn't work, the failure sometimes will open a different avenue to work with.

I would check with the local game warden and be sure its legal to have first. A lot of places turtle and there remains are a protected species. That being said I have a box turtle shell I found, and it is now used as a container for my fire-starting kit, But I am careful where I use it. And carry it in a waxed coated bag. Out of sight.

I would check with the local game warden and be sure its legal to have first. A lot of places turtle and there remains are a protected species.

Yep the OP is in New York, which prohibits possessing all turtles except snaping turtles

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31339.html#:~:text=The only turtle species for,a firearm or a bow.
The only turtle species for which there is an open hunting season is the snapping turtle. You may not harvest, take, or possess any other turtle species at any time.

here is a couple of photos i had on file. I had the same idea to make one for my matchlock musket.

Attachments

• 5597F997-8682-44E0-956D-5237AB6F8452.png
    5597F997-8682-44E0-956D-5237AB6F8452.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 10763482-3E37-464F-B96A-973627681FDA.png
    10763482-3E37-464F-B96A-973627681FDA.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
it is not a water turtle but an eastern woodland box turtle. protected in just about all states.

At the Baltimore show i saw this turtle flask. It was sealed off with brass sheeting. Just another idea of how to do it.

Attachments

• 42A1D0DB-D6A9-40C3-A12B-08A136372AA8.jpeg
    42A1D0DB-D6A9-40C3-A12B-08A136372AA8.jpeg
    676 KB · Views: 0
  • 4AC7DDE3-217F-4631-9329-8BF3A55030FD.jpeg
    4AC7DDE3-217F-4631-9329-8BF3A55030FD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back