• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turning a rifle barrel into a smooth bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodse guy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I need some contact information for some people that could take a 50 cal. barrel and turn it into a smooth bore barrel.

I'm curious, so I have to ask. Why would you convert a rifled 50cal into a smoothbore?

I guess my question should have been... It wouldn't make a fowler so wouldn't you just go ahead and rebore to a rifled 54?

The first guns were smooth bores.....Fowling was done with them long before the invention of the quintessential "fowling" piece.

Smoothbores remained the dominant firearm long after the invention of rifling.....

I can easily hit a deer with a smoothbore.....but shooting a fast moving target with a rifle is another matter......

The practical accuracy differences under 50 yards are inconsequential.

Plus! You can shoot just about anything out of a smoothbore.....

DeeDubya said:
I'm curious, so I have to ask. Why would you convert a rifled 50cal into a smoothbore?
The Pro's aren't doing it.
Usually when you run across a 50 smooth it's been done in someones garage with a 1/2" drill bit, an extension and a hand drill.
People do all kinds of things when they just know they can do it all by themselves and not have to spend any money.
"That's how they would have done it back then"
:shake: :youcrazy:

There is a limiting factor with the barrel size and what can be bored into it,,
With the T/C's the issue is the rear sight holes,, they didn't take care to punch an tap those holes consistently,, some ended up a little deep.
The Pro's measure that hole depth and bore accordingly. Mr Hoyt told me my 1" T/C barrel could go to 62 but only if the factory holes where no deeper then .125,, I got lucky.

TNGhost said:
colorado clyde said:
I can easily hit a deer with a smoothbore.....but shooting a fast moving target with a rifle is another matter......

Huh? :confused: Don't get in the woods much, do ya? :wink:
Once again I'll have to explain it to you in elementary fashion....
It was a comparison....illustrating the difference between a large stationary target and a small moving one.....e.g. a deer and a flying bird. :shake:

colorado clyde said:
TNGhost said:
colorado clyde said:

Huh? :confused: Don't get in the woods much, do ya? :wink:
Once again I'll have to explain it to you in elementary fashion....
It was a comparison....illustrating the difference between a large stationary target and a small moving one.....e.g. a deer and a flying bird. :shake:

Yep, them smoothbores are magic :haha:

Latest posts

Back