• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifled Barrel to Smooth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Novice question.
Could a used T/C .50 rifled barrel be drilled out and polished for use as a smooth bore shotgun. Or is there more to making a ML shotgun barrel such as forcing cone etc.? Cost?
Thank You

No reason it couldn't be done. it was a common practice on originals when the rifling was worn out. It is going to be a cylinder bore unless you find a professional who can put a jug choke in it.

Can a 50 caliber T/C be bored smooth? The simple answer is yes. However that 15/16" barrel and the depth of the screws holding the sights will limit the ultimate gauge that can be bored out. When the screw depths are shallow enough, the max size will be about 28 gauge or 54 caliber. Bobby Hoyt will have to examine the barrel to determine how much the bore can be opened.

The 56 caliber T/C smooth bore was built around a 1" across the flats barrel for the Renegade configuration.

Yep. My trade gun started life as a 54 renegade. I drilled/reamed it to 5/8"/.62/20 guage and turned it 2/3 round. It's short, but a great all around muzzleloader. There's pictures in one of the trade gun or canoe gun threads

spent most of the day honing a TC New Englander .50 smooth. tomorrow will polish it. just honing the lands away and maybe a hair over that. should come out about .515 bore. if'n it shoots good i will leave it at that. if not it will end up closer to .54
How are you doing this?

Latest posts

Back