• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tuning my Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatcreek

40 Cal
Reaction score
Have fired my new Trade gun maybe 50 times and been tuning on it. So far I've switched to English flint, worked on the pan and the vent liner. Bored the inside to shorten the channel, dished the outside a bit and opened it up to 1/16. The touch hole is maybe 1/32 low from sunrise. I've also worked on my technique of loading and charging the pan. This video represents where I'm at when I do my part. I wanted to know how I'm doing and what to do to improve. When I watch it without sound it looks good, with sound it seems slow.
Thanks Phil

That's pretty fast. Not much to worry about except to concentrate on follow through. My Derringer rifle seemed slow, but as I shot it more often and the parts began to fit into place, the lock times became faster. Your lock times will become faster.

One thing I have noticed is that when I am shooting my flint locks, times seems to slow down. There seems to always be a delay. I can hand the rifle to someone else and the firing is nearly instant. Just part of the flint lock experience.

Thank you for all the encouraging words. I was sort of looking for some constructive criticism. I probably should of made a longer video of my preparation and loading then there would of been some. Pulling the trigger is the easy part.
Shot a dozen today. Switched between 50 and 60 grains of ffg today (50cal), also different patch material and not swabbing between shots. All twelve loaded and shot fine without swabbing, although I think it's more accurate swabbing. Didn't notice much difference between 50 and 60 other than it kicked a little harder and hit a bit higher. The thicker patch makes it shoot 1" higher. Shooting at 25yds today, can get 50 in the back yard, but I'll have to go to another part of the property to get 100 safely. Haven't done that yet, but I'm looking forward to it soon.
Thanks Phil

In the pan the barrel or both. Using 4fg in the pan now. No high speed camera, if it feels right it is right.
Thanks Phil
In the barrel. :thumb:

Larry Pletcher (@Larry Pletcher) has done the high speed camera work. So we know that 4F in the pan is faster than 3Fg in the pan, but only enough to be measured and not really much of a performance benefit.

Uhmm....what do you think is wrong????
With respect to lock speed and firing, it's probably some micro polishing on the moving parts. Really nothing is wrong other than the heightened anticipation of the lock firing after the trigger is pulled. In this case it's practice with the flint lock and getting comfortable with the hold and follow through. Learning to keep the flint sharp by knapping the edge and keeping the touch hole clear. Learning the best way to keep fouling from blocking the touch hole when wiping between shots, keeping the pan clean and the face of the frizzen clean and dry. No oils on the face of the frizzen.

With respect to lock speed and firing, it's probably some micro polishing on the moving parts. Really nothing is wrong other than the heightened anticipation of the lock firing after the trigger is pulled. In this case it's practice with the flint lock and getting comfortable with the hold and follow through. Learning to keep the flint sharp by knapping the edge and keeping the touch hole clear. Learning the best way to keep fouling from blocking the touch hole when wiping between shots, keeping the pan clean and the face of the frizzen clean and dry. No oils on the face of the frizzen.
I was asking the OP what he thought was wrong with his gun, not you.

Back