• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Truck gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see throwing a $99 Pietta brasser in a tackle box or something so you don't have to worry about an expensive gun or if it gets stolen , a gang banger won't have much use for a cap and ball revolver

back in my early days gun laws were very different. I backpacked with a 1861 Colt(replica). It made the legalities MUCH easier since it wasn't (and still isn't) a firearm.

I am wondering if I load my 1958 NA and keep it loaded without firing will it do any damage to the gun? I am wanting to carry in my pickup truck.

I have carried a revolver in the field and truck for longer than I care to admit. The really big thing to watch out for is temperature change. The powder is hydroscopic as mentioned earlier. Having in the truck in cold weather and carrying into a warm environment will effect performance even to the point of non function. If weapon is clean and freshly loaded with tight caps it can be carried for any length of time without any harm. Remember the old war horses were used in the worst of environments and were dirty accordingly to todays standards. I just wipe down with olive oil, and as I have mentioned in an earlier thread disassemble once a year at least, more if conditions warrant. I use the same grease I lubricate the truck chassis with in the basement of the revolver. An anal person of cleaning would be disgusted to look at my weapon, but it functions well and shoots well. No, not rust and pits, just black and lube. I have seen pristine looking weapons lock up at the range after a couple of cylinders. I didn't shoot range until a few years ago and noticed the pristine , not all but more than should have locked after 3 or 4 cylinders. I have fired as many as 15 cylinders before resistance was felt. Just a little wipe down and checked nipple channel.
You could carry stainless steel which is rust resistance, not rust proof. Easier to keep the exterior looking pristine.:D
My 2 cents and not particularly accepted by everyone. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back