• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to clean gun properly after shooting prodex or 777 powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstogsdill

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting close to completing My project 36 caliber pistol.

My question... After using pyrodex or triple 7... Do I clean my gun like I would with smokeless powder, or like I would with black powder?

I have never shot black powder but seems I have been told for black powder to first clean with hot soapy water, then switch over to solvent.

For smokeless powder I generally use a bore brush then solvent patches then an oiled patch.

Thanks for any advise.

Water with a drop or two of dish soap is your friend when it comes to cleaning a black powder firearm. You need to get the fired powder residue out of or off the gun. Once it is clean and dry it then needs something to protect the metal. I use 3in 1 oil or Barricade or maybe both.

Best course is to avoid pdex. T7 has it's own cleaning procedure, but the holy black cleans up nicely with nothing more than Windex. The ammonia neutralizes the acid. Dry and oil as normal.

My question... After using pyrodex or triple 7... Do I clean my gun like I would with smokeless powder, or like I would with black powder?
I have found that BP and T7 seem to clean up with just water, and a bit of soap will speed up the cleaning process. Pyrodex, on the other hand I have found to require a more regimented cleaning process requiring something more than just water, and given a choice will avoid it. Others will claim they have used it without issue for years, so there must be a way to clean it successfully. I have seen stainless steel barrels severely pitted that the owners claim were properly cleaned after using only Pyrodex. Folks get upset when you show them their shiny bores with a borescope that are obviously pitted. Not looking to argue, just be very vigilant with your cleaning process.

I think Pyrodex is the most corrosive--all things equal. Let's face it, most people back from
shooting are not excited to skip dinner and get to cleaning. Many wait till the next day.
However with Pyrodex--do yourself a Favor and run a damp patch down the bore to reduce the
Pyrodex residue before setting the gun aside for next day cleaning. 90% of the folks on this
forum have posted their particular methods for cleaning, most are fine. Your biggest threats
to corrosion are laziness and procrastination.

An important ingredient mentioned to cleaning any of the three propellants mentioned is time. I've disciplined myself to thoroughly cleaning my firearms, from flinters to AR15s, at the range, immediately after the last round has echoed and the target backers policed up. Obviously a kit containing appropriate cleaning components visits the range with the firearms. Beyond the obvious advantages, I've found this habit carries with it a great mercy: the repose of immediately returning the firearm to its assigned place once home without the drudgery of cleaning hanging over my handsome, hollow head.

An important ingredient mentioned to cleaning any of the three propellants mentioned is time. I've disciplined myself to thoroughly cleaning my firearms, from flinters to AR15s, at the range, immediately after the last round has echoed and the target backers policed up. Obviously a kit containing appropriate cleaning components visits the range with the firearms. Beyond the obvious advantages, I've found this habit carries with it a great mercy: the repose of immediately returning the firearm to its assigned place once home without the drudgery of cleaning hanging over my handsome, hollow head.
I don't clean my rifles at the range but as soon as I get home it is the first thing I do. Dish soap and water for my B.P. rifles is all that is needed.

Thank you all for taking time to help me. I will at least initially use the pryodex and triple seven since I have them on hand but I'm going to look at getting some black powder.

Any body have suggested source for black powder? I assume if I can't find locally I can get it on line.

I clean all my ML at the range before leaving. I use MAP and wd-40 then RIG guns will be good for a day, a week, a month, or a year or more with just that.

Go home and clean them the next day is a nimrod move and having been in the gun business I love those guys, sold them many new guns. I really like the ones that keep the gun loaded from the last deer season paid the bills and bought lots of groceries for home.

Latest posts

Back