• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

triple 7

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,
I just re-read the CVA sidelock manual and they recommend that you don't shoot anything over 300gr. of lead with 100gr of powder(I guess that 777 would be 85gr).
Are they being too conservative:bull:, or is this the absolute bottom line?::

"I just re-read the CVA sidelock manual and they recommend that you don't shoot anything over 300gr. of lead with 100gr of powder(I guess that 777 would be 85gr)."
==========================================================

I think your CVA manual says 300 grain sabot & 400 grain conical/bullet. I don't recall it saying anything about copper or lead... but maybe I'm mistaken.

Just recently at[url] CVA.com[/url], BPI (CVA/Powerbelt/Winchester Muzzleloading) parent company issued a statement that all 777 powder testing has concluded & 100 grains (loose or pellets) is acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll re-read it again to make sure. I don't recall them differentiating between sabots or slugs, just the weight.
I might have an old version of the manual. I tried to get the manual off the CVA site this afternoon but it wasn't working right. I'll try CVA again tomorrow.

News from CVA:

Below is the response to my email to them. I pleaded with them to continue forum. Keeping fingers and legs crossed :boohoo:

"The Forum has been terminated. This was an upper management decision. I will pass your request on to them.

Danny
BPI CUSTOMER SERVICE"

"..."The Forum has been terminated. This was an upper management decision. I will pass your request on to them.
..."

If they shut down the CVA Forum, the least they could have done is reference Muzzleloadingforum as a neat place to be, don't you think?

I'm confused :: even though they say the the forum is no longer, it's still there and running. No complaint mind you, but confusing. Maybe my request to keep it going will carry some weight up in the management's Ivory tower. :winking:

Yes this is a pretty neat place to be, and I think that CVA's spillover will be spilling over here. :winking:

CVA didn't have to recommend this site. Members did and that always was the key to the CVA forum, passing on valuable information. The CVA site is still there, but, it doesn't seem to have as much activity as it did. From what I've seen, this site is great.

Was just on the CVA site,,it is still functioning! The GuRu posted a message saying that the site was "not" being termenated!He said the site has always been Black Powder Guns & Hunting not CVA!According to Him The "New" Format was almost complete,and would be in place shortly.I would hope He's right.It's my opinion that the site helped to sell many CVA guns! I also believe that CVA is making a mistake in dropping most sidelocks and kits.Only time will tell! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ::

Roaddog- Thanks. To show how good Triple 7 is, I'll try to put a photo of one test session in. This was shot with no wiping or cleaning between shots or groups, no fouler shots, just eight, five-shot groups chronographed. If this works, note the flier with 40 grains- what happens when patches blow. EDITED; Finally made the photo work. Note the vertical dispersion of shots, or two separate groups. Am testing a rifle rest to avoid this, will show a photo later.

Back