• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triggers - single or set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RHensley

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I've hunted and shot for years and in the last 40 or so years I've built a few guns. All of which had set triggers. This last rifle I built last winter was a 45 flint lock. On this rifle I used a single trigger. I consulted a couple of people about where to position the trigger for a good but light trigger. I must have hit it right. The rifle has a 3 lb trigger pull with little slack in the trigger. This has got me to believe that for hunting with cold hands or with a glove of some kind that this would do better for me. It is heavy enough to not go bang until I want it to and roomy enough for light gloves. So how about it folks. single or double set which and why . I do believe my next will also be single.

I used to use double set all the time. My centermark TFC was the first gun I had built with single triggers. Since then, ‘95, I’ve built all my guns with single. I like them now. We see lots of very good quality guns with single triggers. Although single set triggers were also seen. I can’t say I notice a difference in my shooting.

I’ve had deer slip out really close to me while hunting and setting the trigger on my rife has gotten their attention, I wish I had a good single, might be a good off season project I suppose, my squirrel rifle I don’t really mind the set trigger as most squirrel are not that close and I like the light pull.

A trigger pull of 2 lbs or more and I'll throw the gun down range before I can get it to go off. I have shot with very light single, single set and double set triggers for over 60 years. Hunting included and I want no more then 1.5 lbs of pull..... I am very cognizant of what I have in my hands so super light pull is no big deal. I do not cock the gun nor set the trigger(s) until I am ready to make the shot.

I primarily shoot Bench/Target, i would be lost without my Set Triggers, i run them in the mid to high ounces. The beauty of a Set trigger is you don’t have to use the Set, but when you want to get “Precise” it’s there for the using

Latest posts

Back