• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger weight on Black Powder Revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The number of people who use their replicas as high end competition pistols is a very small percentage of the replica population.

And those people have their guns professionally gone over for optimum performance.

By "Tuning", I meant the factory sets them up so they function as intended.

And I stand by my belief that the average Joe, with no understanding of firearm internals/mechanics, should not mess with the safety features on deadly guns.
I pull em out of the box and shoot em, I am the Average Joe

I may change the nipples, do some cleanup work on forcing cones but that's it

If people want to have some guy "perfect " their Italian repro range guns then it's a free market economy and I'm happy such services exist. I don't need these services

People need to shoot more and think less. We have all the Joe Sixpack Jerry Miculeks and John Wicks out here that shoot 50 rounds a year "tuning up" guns 😃

I pull em out of the box and shoot em, I am the Average Joe

I may change the nipples, do some cleanup work on forcing cones but that's it

If people want to have some guy "perfect " their Italian repro range guns then it's a free market economy and I'm happy such services exist. I don't need these services

People need to shoot more and think less. We have all the Joe Sixpack Jerry Miculeks and John Wicks out here that shoot 50 rounds a year "tuning up" guns 😃

Nope, I shoot more than 50 rounds a year and tune them way beyond your ability. 😁

Mike

I think we all know what he meant by the term "range toys". Not that BP handguns are not to be respected as dangerous weapons capable of killing but that they generally don't take the place of modern handguns and the uses ascribed to modern firearms. But, that they are generally used for recreation not self or home defense or defending our country against all enemies foreign or domestic. Of course there are exceptions but by definition, exceptions are not the rule.

Sorry guys but they are not anyone's first choice in a hostile situation and about as serious as you get with them is in a shooting match that restricts the use to them. Which is a sport, that's not a game a but it is pretty close and what do you use to play a game.

• Haha
Reactions: GYJ
I'm a old man, no type of firearm, modern, reproduction's antique should evert be referred to as a "TOY" You might think you are PLAYING with it while out shooting, but you are the type of person who have the stupidest accident. Why? Because you thought it was just a toy.
That's my take on this and I'm sticking to it

Apologies to WSAR15 for the major thread drift ( more like " run off the road" 🤣).
As far as trigger setup, it is actually a "safety device" and is the easiest thing that can make an excellent arm useless.

They can have adjustments installed on them ( to adjust the amount of engagement) as well as overtravel stops.

Mike

They are toys. They're range toys.

And they shouldn't be messed with by people who have zero understanding of the internal mechanisms. Everyone watches YouTube videos and all of a sudden they're John Moses Browning.

Do you know why the manufacturer tunes those revolvers? So the buyer doesn't have to.

Toys or not, a trigger that is too light is a hazard. I have 2 that came from Uberti with pulls of less than 1 pound, and plan to have someone that knows what they are doing bring them up to about 3 pounds.

They are toys. They're range toys.

And they shouldn't be messed with by people who have zero understanding of the internal mechanisms. Everyone watches YouTube videos and all of a sudden they're John Moses Browning.

Do you know why the manufacturer tunes those revolvers? So the buyer doesn't have to.

Sometimes the tuning done by the Italians leaves a lot to be desired, which helps keep 45D gainfully employed well into the future. 😀

Sorry guys but they are not anyone's first choice in a hostile situation and about as serious as you get with them is in a shooting match that restricts the use to them. Which is a sport, that's not a game a but it is pretty close and what do you use to play a game.
It's all relative , they are just repros of totally obsolete weapons technology that is so old the ATF isn't even worried about them

After we're all gone , in 50 , 100+ years people will think of 9mm pistols and M16s the same way

I also collect old S&W and Ruger revolvers and often transfer 3,4 or 5 at a time and my dealer even said "the State Police and ATF don't care about a guy buying a bunch of revolvers , no one is buying a S&W Model 10 to go on a crime spree...... if you bought 5 Glocks you'd be getting a visit " so basically , double action revolvers are even in a "lesser" priority to our "watchers "

He'd better hope Uberti doesn't fix their short arbor or he'll have nothing to work on 😃😃

🤣🤣 ha ha. That's so funny.

Most of what I work on is Pietta. There's more to "tuning " than arbors, so you don't need to worry about me, I'll be just fine.

Mike

Don't know if it's germane or not, but I carry C&B for self-protection and have never felt under-armed or at a disadvantage, even when I carried my .36 cal. Navy. (For quick(er) reloads, I carry paper cartridges and a capper.) Of course, I've never got into a 'all out' gun fight with one either. Nor do I plan to. Put the perp down with a few shots or if more than one assailant. look for an exit. Been in more than my share of firefights as a cop and in the military. Still alive and kicking at 75 with only one extra hole in me.

Perhaps they aren't anyone's first choice, but they sure beat throwing rocks. They are as lethal now as when they were in period. Toys my @$$.

Just because you carry a BP revolver doesn't mean it is a good option for a hostile situation, but there a lot of people who make bad decisions.

I suggest you look up "Defensive Handgun Loads" these opinions are based upon the work of Massad Ayoob, Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow.

• Haha
Reactions: GYJ
Don't know if it's germane or not, but I carry C&B for self-protection and have never felt under-armed or at a disadvantage, even when I carried my .36 cal. Navy. (For quick(er) reloads, I carry paper cartridges and a capper.) Of course, I've never got into a 'all out' gun fight with one either. Nor do I plan to. Put the perp down with a few shots or if more than one assailant. look for an exit. Been in more than my share of firefights as a cop and in the military. Still alive and kicking at 75 with only one extra hole in me.
I respect your history but why would you not carry a modern handgun if you indeed have that option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back