• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trigger weight on Black Powder Revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WSAR15

32 Cal
Reaction score
What is the optimum or what do you recommend/use for trigger weight on Uberti Colt replicas?
Thanks

The original Colt spec was and still is 3 1/2 lb min. - 5 1/2 lb max.
I set them up for 2 1/2 min - 4 lb max. with positive engagement. Positive engagement means the sear actually rocks the hammer back before let off. That provides a built-in "safety" in as far as the trigger HAS to be pulled for the revolver to fire.
Neutral engagement is deemed "ok" but negative engagement is very dangerous.

Mike

If it's a bit stiff try some lube before you do any work.
I use Aluminum anti seize on internals and it smoothed the trigger nicely.

They're toys.

The trigger weight doesn't matter.

And unless you know exactly what you're doing, you'll ruin the fire control group or produce a dangerous revolver.

Kitchen tables are for eating. Not gunsmithing.
I tried working on a revolver trigger pull once. Buddy had loaded it and had cocked it in preparation for firing and it went off on its own. I yanked the hammer out and replaced it with a stock one. That was enough trigger hacking attempts for me.

I tried working on a revolver trigger pull once. Buddy had loaded it and had cocked it in preparation for firing and it went off on its own. I yanked the hammer out and replaced it with a stock one. That was enough trigger hacking attempts for me.
And you had the good sense to have it pointed at something that didn't die after it discharged on its own.

Unfortunately, not everyone follows the rules of the road.

Hence, they are not "toys".

Mike
They are toys. They're range toys.

And they shouldn't be messed with by people who have zero understanding of the internal mechanisms. Everyone watches YouTube videos and all of a sudden they're John Moses Browning.

Do you know why the manufacturer tunes those revolvers? So the buyer doesn't have to.

And they shouldn't be messed with by people who have zero understanding of the internal mechanisms. Everyone watches YouTube videos and all of a sudden they're John Moses Browning.

Do you know why the manufacturer tunes those revolvers? So the buyer doesn't have to.
which manufacturers tune them?

There are a lot of folks in the N-SSA and CAS who regard these as far more than toys. Labeling them as toys implies that they are to be used casually or possibly even carelessly and not to be taken seriously.

100% with you there.

Unfortunately the manufacturers don't tune their revolvers. They assemble parts, coat them with grease and ship them.

There are a lot of folks in the N-SSA and CAS who regard these as far more than toys. Labeling them as toys implies that they are to be used casually or possibly even carelessly and not to be taken seriously.

100% with you there.

Unfortunately the manufacturers don't tune their revolvers. They assemble parts, coat them with grease and ship them.
The number of people who use their replicas as high end competition pistols is a very small percentage of the replica population.

And those people have their guns professionally gone over for optimum performance.

By "Tuning", I meant the factory sets them up so they function as intended.

And I stand by my belief that the average Joe, with no understanding of firearm internals/mechanics, should not mess with the safety features on deadly guns.

They're toys.

The trigger weight doesn't matter.

And unless you know exactly what you're doing, you'll ruin the fire control group or produce a dangerous revolver.

Kitchen tables are for eating. Not gunsmithing.
Huh? Where did this come from?
the average Joe, with no understanding of firearm internals/mechanics, should not mess with the safety features on deadly guns.

Agreed. They're not toys. Tuning is about knowledge, not a fancy toolbox or workbench.

Oh yeah, BP revolvers are serious tools, that's why police officers, military etc. carry them as their primary weapons.

Yes, you can develop competitions with rules specifying them and get in the equipment race with them (tuning, accurizing etc.) but serious tools they are not.

Ducking now for the expected incoming.

In 150 years when robots are shooting at each other with laser guns , a Glock 9mm will be seen as a "toy" then too 😃

I don't care what my trigger weights are, I own probably over 20 of them and I just use them for punching paper and range blasting.

If you're a competitor and plan to use them as such, you should probably get a high end 1858 like the Pedersoli

I'm not a competitor, here's a video of me 2 days ago using my Pietta that I tuned up myself to blast paper Schmoo targets . They're fun guns . I took an "unmentionable " .22 out for some blasting too. Shooting for fun and relaxation is the point of owning "range toys" right? Taking a break from life to pretend to be a gunslinger then back to reality. The Italian gun makers have been making these guns for 60+ years of woods blasting. That's why I call them Spaghetti Blasters. These aren't "heirloom weapons" like my limited production Ruger .41 Magnum Bisley Blackhawk that will outlast my great grandkinds kids, or a 1960's Colt Python. They're mail order paper poppers. The trigger pull is what Guisseppe set it at when he assembled your .44 Navy

Attachments

• 20230425_155110.mp4
    46.4 MB
Last edited:
There are no ramifications to shooting someone accidently.

Just ask Alec Baldwin.

And why do we need a Moderator? To shut down a perfectly legitimate conversation regarding safety? Is this a gun forum or a safe space?

There are no ramifications to shooting someone accidently.

Just ask Alec Baldwin.

And why do we need a Moderator? To shut down a perfectly legitimate conversation regarding safety? Is this a gun forum or a safe space?

Most "modern" forums that are responsible in the least wouldn't allow "these are toys" to stay up but this one will take my "scary" pics of conversions down immediately . . .

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back