• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger Monkey Woes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need some wisdom from you shooters. Took my Traditions Deer Hunter to the range, and shot at 15 and 25 yards. Still trying to get back into the swing of things, and sight her in. All shots, even at this short range, were 3-3.5" left of the bull. Here are the details:

1. Load was 50 grains of 3F.
2. Sight was moved to center, since the other day it also shot left (standing).
3. This shooting was bag on bench, me sitting.
4. I am left handed but right eye dominant.
5. Shot right handed, right eyed, left eye closed.
6. Strong winds, but mostly from the rear.
7. A couple of misfires said I'm not flinching.
8. The same "off to the side" occurs with centerfire.

So far the only thing I can think of is that my shoulder pocket isn't holding the butt in place, and it's sliding to the right as it pushes back. Anything else you can think of to test?

Adjust your sights until you hit the bullseye.

1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 aren't causing the problem.

If you think the butt stock is moving, find a way to secure it in place.

Let someone else shoot your rifle and see if their shots are hitting in the same place.

Could be something as simple as your sight picture.

I have a rifle with a slick steel butt plate that slides around on my shoulder. I went to the hardware store and bought some of the non stick tape, like that used on skateboards or on the edges of stair steps. I put some on my slippery butt and solved the problem. It could peeled off if or when needed.

If you shoot off to the left with other rifles, it would lead me to feel like you have a sight picture or shooting mechanics "glitch"

Also, a "cold, clean" barrel first shot may hit in a different spot and shots might move around as the bore fouls up

If you shoot off to the left with other rifles, it would lead me to feel like you have a sight picture or shooting mechanics "glitch"

Also, a "cold, clean" barrel first shot may hit in a different spot and shots might move around as the bore fouls up
I do a "powder but no ball" pre-fire, and then a semi-dry wipe between each shot. Trying to keep things as consitant as possible.

I vote for having someone else shoot it to see if the gun has a problem. Of course you want someone who is at least an okay shooter, but at 25 yards you are more interested in seeing where they group shots.

Crown looks okay, and I'm happy to get someone to shoot her. Should be able to get that done at the end of the month shoot.

Today's exercise was three fold.
1. Square chest to the recoil, no real change.
2. Shoot left handed (my dominant side), no real change.
3. Back to right handed, adjust the sights that I thought were right, and shoot squared off to the recoil This worked!

She hit the bull on one, and came close on another. For the nonce, I think the problem is solved, but I'm going to have to ensure my arm shoulder pocket is solid when I go to standing position.

Latest posts

Back