• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tree mounted prop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd411111

32 Cal.
Reaction score
From what I've read,it's hard to get the same sight picture shooting from a bench that you get standing up. Just wondering if anyone has made some type of prop that could be mounted to a tree so you could be standing when sighting in. Of course you could just hold it against the tree but I would like something a little more solid.

Most interesting. Shooting sticks would work, but you can tie three sticks together, and make a quick tripod. Throw a wool cap on top for some cush and you'd be good to go. Step ladder might work.

Not sure that there's enough difference in sight picture to make a difference, but worth a try. Why not?

Hmmm,stepladder might be the easiest. It just seams I tend to hunch down when shooting off a bench and my head is held up more when standing.

Not so much a difference in sight picture as recoil. Sit low and elevate the rifle rest so your back is straight and you are in or close to your off hand position. Or be old a bench rest and clamp it to a post on the firing line. A sand bag under your support hand (with it in your normal OH position) and one under your firing elbow.

Not so much a difference in sight picture as recoil. Sit low and elevate the rifle rest so your back is straight and you are in or close to your off hand position. Or be old a bench rest and clamp it to a post on the firing line. A sand bag under your support hand (with it in your normal OH position) and one under your firing elbow.
That's probably what I need to do . Keep raising it until my back is straight.

I’ve used a single shooting/walking stick, it can be leaned against a tree if necessary..

I prefer too grab a bush, and place the rifle across my arm or grip the forearm against the bush if it’s comfortable.

Another good reason too practice off hand shooting, if you’re going too shoot from the ground there may not always be a bush/ tree where you need it.

To the OP about tree attachments, I don’t know of any for shooting, but they do make some nice strap on tree seats nowadays.

One of those could easily be used as a shooting test for target shooting, I would think.

Not sure about attaching to a tree. But, if you look around enough on the net regarding sighting in the heavy double rifles for dangerous game you will eventually find pictures of a standing support for doing just what you seek. Shooting these guns from a bench would be detrimental to one's anatomy.
The step ladder idea is probably closest. A saw horse built to the correct height for you would be closer. And that is the rub. The device used for the above is adjustable for the height of the shooter.
Can you hold your gun on target and have someone measure from the floor up to the where you want the gun to rest on the cross piece? Screw a 2x4 between 2 trees at that height?

I've used a cane looped over a branch and then rested my forend over the top of my hand holding the cane shaft for a standing rest when hunting. No reason it shouldn't work in practice shooting.

But really, if you are holding the forend and have your cheek in tight the sight picture doesn't change between sitting and resting elbows on knees, using a tree support, or offhand. Bench shooting you do tend to lean further into the firearm.

Thanks all! I've talked to someone that recommended a wood block. Drill a hole in it,run a rope or heavy cord long enough for the tree circumference and wrap it tight around the tree. Just play with it a little until you get it the right height.

Back