• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traveling with ML's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulTBarton

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to be able to transport (unloaded) my ML/flint/rifle and accouterments with me while driving from AZ through CA and OR to WA.

Do I need anything "special" to thwart over zealous folks during this to/from drive?

BartSr

Can't speak to California, but Oregon isn't an issue. Unloaded, cased and in the back is good for pretty much everything from muzzleloaders to the evil black guns.

I can't speak for the west coast, but anybody travelling around the Ohio area needs to watch out. This well known criminal has been evading authorities for decades:

[youtube]piJYjHUJQLo[/youtube]

I travel quite a bit with rifles.

Depending on the gun, and where and what I am doing, I will put the gun in a hard case (pelican or Storm).

I put 4 padlocks on the hard case. I also have 2 cable locks that snug up. I will take a log chain, wrap it around the case, going through each of the padlocks and cable lock. Then there are two points of attachment with the cables and locks to the vehicle.

I also have a motion sensor alarm that is portable and operated on batteries. This is smaller than a pack of smokes. If I am leaving the gun in the vehicle over night I use all of the above. If I am with the guns and if possible will take them into the hotel room at night. I will use the motion sensor in the hotel room if I go out for supper, leaving the guns in the room.

Bit over kill, it would be hard to replace some of the rifles I shoot.

Fleener

the one I have is a GE motion sensor 51207

you can buy them on line for $20 bucks.

What I dont like is that when you trigger it, it beeps at you letting you know it is triggered, then you got like 60 seconds before the alarm sounds. I wished that it was silent when it gets triggered and not give you the warning.

It has a handy remote to arm it or disarm.

I have a 4 door pickup. I place it in the open sunglass holder facing the back. It gives me a good range of the inside and I think not so easy to see it if it does get triggered.

I would buy this one again.

They make one that will send an alarm to a unit X number of feet away, like in your hotel room. I almost got that one.

Last year I was in Indianapolis teaching a class for work for a few days and then was heading to NC for the world match from there. So, I had everything locked in my pickup for almost a week before I got to the match. With the locks and motion alarm I was not too worried. It would be easier to steal my truck then to get the guns out.

My guns could be stolen but it would not be easy.

Fleener

Although that was pretty hilarious, it is a bit :eek:ff , but since I tend to do that on occasion my own self I reckon I can let you slide this one time :wink:

PaulTBarton said:
I want to be able to transport (unloaded) my ML/flint/rifle and accouterments with me while driving from AZ through CA and OR to WA.

Do I need anything "special" to thwart over zealous folks during this to/from drive?

BartSr

If your car doesn't have a burglar alarm best to take them in the room at night. There is no shortage on thieves, they're a dime a dozen and absolutely everywhere. Better to be safe than sorry, but then, I wouldn't be able to replace my guns in a reasonable amount of time either if sticky fingers were ever laid upon them.

I have had a few occasions when I had to carry a longrifle on an overnight trip where I was going to stay in a motel. If the motel has a breezeway entrance into the room, you have no problem in taking your cased gun into your room for the night. But, if you are staying at a motel where the rooms have hallway entrances, you have to be a bit creative in how you get your gun into your room without raising the eyebrows of the motel staff. What I have done is to nestle the cased gun in between my hanging things on one of those motel luggage carts. Just stand it on the butt muzzle up and put hanging clothes on either side of it. To make sure that it doesn't fall over, make a lanyard to go around the muzzle of your gun and hook over a clothes hanger. To cover the butt of the cased gun, nestle the luggage around it. It is not all that hard to disguise a cased longrifle if you just do a bit of planning. Most places won't give you any grief anyway but I just find it best to disguise my rifle and smuggle it into my room.

As far as interstate traveling with it through various states in the good old U.S. of A., just keep it in a case and out of sight in the trunk of your car while you are driving.

International travel with a gun is a whole different thing. I have never gone to Mexico with a gun and do not ever plan to do so. In fact, I never plan to go to any part of Mexico for any reason, gun or no gun. Screw that crooked, mordido seeking, drug infested, crime filled hole. If you go to Canada with a gun, there is a lot of paperwork to be done ahead of time but it can be done. The Canadian authorities will tell you what you need to do. It can be done but you must do it the right way to avoid any problems. Check with them ahead of time.

to thwart over zealous folks during this to/from drive?

Unfortunately, even when transported in a locked case..., there is zero guarantee that the local LEO will have any idea of the difference in the law between a flinter and a modern rifle. Oh well...

Since this is under General Muzzleloading I will also point out a couple of things. It's probably easier for you to not have an over zealous person when transporting a rifle or fusil, but handguns...., especially cap-n-ball...might be a bit more of a problem.

Another point, is the definition of our traditional guns falls into the federal category of "antique firearms", and most of the states copy this definition, so even if your reproduction rifle was made yesterday, it's not a "firearm" in most places.

BUT...., the not-to-be-mentioned firearms, the ones that resemble the modern rifles in all ways except ignition of the main propellant..., they might be judged as not complying with the Federal definition. This is important as some of us have those horrid things, OR we know good friends that have them, and if they have a misfire, and cannot get the main charge out....so remove the primer to transport the firearm home where there are better tools, or perhaps to a gunsmith..., they may violate their state's laws as they are transporting a loaded firearm.

But that's beyond the OP's question. Just information for future reference.

LD

The 1986 gun owners act covered this. Some States such as NY , MA and NJ try and ignore that but it ends up costing the taxpayers for the $$$$$$$ law settlements.

Keep them out of sight and in cases is my recommendation.

I travel through idiot state with firearms other than ML in fact they are NFA firearms. That is my recommendation.

Show them or declare them to the average idiot Police officer and the ride is on you.

Note they may ask as that is allowed, you do not have to answer, don't lie that is another charge but staying silent is no and is not probable cause.

I will bet there is a good 2nd amendment lawyer where you are from, have their card on you or stay home.

One time we were in checking into a condo in FL for spring break with my family. On the way home we were stopping at Oak Ridge TN for a long range shoot so we had 3 rifles with us. In the lobby while waiting for the elevator with the hard rifle cases I had one lady ask us what instruments we played.

Luckily the elevator came and we were separated before I had a chance to answer.

Fleener

Always take with you. On two occasions, over the years, in Memphis, TN, bad guys have stolen a bunch of heavy duty firepower from the vehicles of FBI guys who parked for the night. :shocked2: Can we say "gutsy" boy and girls? As for laws regarding "antique" and what is, or is not a "firearm". Forget arguing the point. Different state or municipalities might have varying laws. And, many LEOs don't know or care about such niceties. They see GUN and can, to put it politely, overreact. For those who can afford it, keep a good lawyer on retainer and his number on speed dial.

Rifleman1776 said:
Always take with you. On two occasions, over the years, in Memphis, TN, bad guys have stolen a bunch of heavy duty firepower from the vehicles of FBI guys who parked for the night. :shocked2: Can we say "gutsy" boy and girls? As for laws regarding "antique" and what is, or is not a "firearm". Forget arguing the point. Different state or municipalities might have varying laws. And, many LEOs don't know or care about such niceties. They see GUN and can, to put it politely, overreact. For those who can afford it, keep a good lawyer on retainer and his number on speed dial.
The one thing you can depend on is Federal Employees to screw up. They are special don't you know. :doh:

I've carried a badge for almost 22 years and as cops are recruited from the human race no two will react the same to a given situation.

MOST, but certainly not all don't get excited about long guns stored where access is limited. Handguns on the other hand are another ball game. I personally never get too worked up about a long gun, or a handgun unless its being pointed at me. I have been known to ask to look at something interesting, like a real Sturmgewehr 44 a guy was taking home from an auction.

Usually if you don't look like or act like a meth addict, a sovereign citizen, or you just crawled out of someone's window you'll get treated decently, but your mileage may vary. A little respect goes a long ways and usually is reciprocated.

Back to the OP, I would do an online search of each state and see how they classify black powder firearms. The NRA-ILA website would be my first stop.

Also, be sure and record the serial #, make, model, etc for all guns you are transporting. This sounds like a no-brainer, but probably 80% of the gun thefts I have worked the owner didn't have info for the gun to have it entered in the NCIC database. So many people think if they can describe it that'll work, but without a serial # it is real difficult to get entered.

This part is a sad commentary on the world we live in. If you have bumper stickers, window decals, or other identifying items on your car, in your car, person, or belongings; for example a NRA sticker, your NMLRA jacket you are so proud of, you USMC or Buckmark decal on your rear window, then you should call your insurance company now and start the claim.

Thieves know to look for these things that indicate the owner has/have/had a firearm about them. I personally know two guys who stopped at a diner in Dallas at night and came back to find their window shattered and guns taken from the truck, the only indicator was the NRA sticker on the rear window. Pretty brazen as there were cars everywhere and the lot was well lit. I would keep the rifle in my room, and transfer it to and from with as little fanfare as possible.

Personally I think the comments about your Miranda rights and having an attorney on speed dial are nonsense and hyped up by people who don't get away from their desktop often enough.

First, you are going to have to give the LEO a reason to stop you. Then the LEO will need reasonable suspicion or consent to search your car. Then probable cause is needed to arrest or seize property.

I tell everyone if you are a law abiding citizen you usually don't have much to worry about and not to get excited, or to act excited if you have contact with a LEO. Everyone gets nervous and that's expected; hell I got stopped a while back by a Trooper I didn't know and found myself stammering and fumbling my wallet. Try to remain calm and state what you're doing. To my knowledge it isn't illegal to cross a state line with a black powder rifle. If so then I'm in trouble myself.

cops are recruited from the human race no two will react the same to a given situation.

Do agree with that. Quality of the individual and training can vary widely. At one time I was a local Sheriff deputy. I was handed an ID card and sworn in. That was it. Zero training. :doh: I always tried to use good common sense but did find myself in a couple situations that could have gone sour very easily.
Many rural counties have limited budgets, meaning they cannot pay very well and are able to only hire the lowest denominator individual who is willing to work for next to nothing.
Disagree on the window sticker bit. I believe those stickers are more effective as warnings that "owner has gun, may shoot crooks".
But, also agree, most importantly, do not give LEOs reason to stop you.

I know there is still one state where you get hired off the streets, sworn in, and given a year to attend an academy. Which is VERY scary stuff in today's climate.

Stickers and decals might keep a bad guy from breaking in late at night at your house when they expect you home. But the OP is talking about traveling, and I assure you modem criminals are well educated in target selection and know a decal on a car at a restaurant or hotel is a sign that says "Please take my guns!"
These guys sit around in jail and discuss best ways to break the law, and what to look for to up their chances of success.

You want to be a hard target and make the bad guy decide to look for an easier mark.
ET

Back