• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trapper Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uno676 said:
Would a Trapper style knife be close for a PC patch knife?
No such thing as a patch knife, it is a modern term for a imaginary item.
Use whatever knife you have - I use my belt knife or folding knife when needed. That said, I make pre-cut & lubed patches at home, avoiding the need to cut patches at the muzzle - faster, easier and less waste.

when I first started I used precut patches. then I used cut at the muzzle. for a patch knife I used a old hickey pairing knife. it has a blade about 3" long after a little use and the handle getting wet you don't even see the old hickory on the handle. it fit in my shooting bag nice. now I use precut patches again. the knife is in the kitchen being used.

I don't know exactly what you mean by trappers knife. Hc knifes tended to be in 5-6 inch range. Cheap knifes were imported heavily from England, while there were some hand made knifes and both crude and fancy hand made knifes and lots of repaired handles, most knifes were plain butcher style which plain handles. Short blades that could serve as a patch knife were common, but most seem to have just grabbed the same knife they used to butcher the deer, slice the onion, clean under the nails, scoop up food, and whittle a peg with. There is no reason a small knife isn't hc, nor is a small knife on your person a must.

Thanks I was just looking for a smaller knife to keep in my possibles bag. Like a folder knife. After the first response it dawned on me that they would just use their belt knife.

I also keep a folding knife in my gun bag as a backup along with my Flint & Steel. Nothing wrong with having another knife.

There's a 2 blade folding knife w/ a blade on both ends and it's called a "trapper style"...saw many at knife shows.....Fred

Maybe not. It probably depends upon the historical period you are interested in. I don't believe they came into their own until the 20th century. There are several other folders that would suffice. Sodbusters, Barlows, Penny knives, come to mind.

The steamboat Arabia went down in 1856. It had hundreds of pocket knives: one, two, three and even 4-blade. The museum is in KC and impressive.

Thanks for the info. I saw a couple of pictures of quite a few knives, but didn't see any that resembled a modern trapper pattern.

Yep, and pretty much everything that I have seen that is called a trapper, is a pattern that was not show in those pictures.

Latest posts

Back