• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What makes a good patch knife?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always a small one-hand opening/closing compact folder..with either a hole or loop in the tail for hanging around your neck or accessory; just cut the patch, fold and drop, all with one hand...., don't like to mess with a non-folding straight or pointed knife trying to tuck it into a holster with one hand...possible stabbing or cutting myself. And of course keep it sharp! A modified police type one hand opening/closing Spyderco works...round or dull the sharp point.
https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Ten...s=spyderco+knives&qid=1698849925&sr=8-15&th=1

I tend to agree with @XVIIc Wheelock that having a small folder that can be opened with one hand is a great choice for a patch knife. I have a favorite that I like to use when I am participating in the monthly matches of my traditional muzzleloading gun club.

When I am participating in the period correct matches and events, I prefer to use historically correct folders as well as fixed blade knives. All share the ability to be extremely sharp and can be opened with one hand. Well, the fixed blade knives have to be drawn from the sheath.

My fixed blade knives:

KNIVES.JPG

My folders:

IMG_4499.JPG

The last two are not used as they are too difficult to sharpen and I can't open them with one hand. The 5th from the left is used most often. It is the easiest to open with one hand. The Opinel is too modern, but an excellent knife. The Scott Summerville deer antler knife gets little use as it is too nice. I have the Sardinian shepherd's knife and the French Lagioule knife could be used more often.

I have acquired several old 19th century butter knives that the rounded tips were slightly damaged. With a wee bit of filing and sanding, these have become dandy patch knives. The thin blade takes a super sharp edge as they are good steel, and the thin flat blade lays flat to the muzzle when cutting a patch.
Ohio Rusty ><>
patch knife (2).JPG

Attachments

• patch knife butter knife.JPG
    patch knife butter knife.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Sharp & Handy. For me, that's always a compact folder clipped to my pocket. But I usually just tear off what I need, using strips of material, & don't use a knife unless I have to. Nothing handier than my fingers.

Sharp & Handy. For me, that's always a compact folder clipped to my
Sharp & Handy. For me, that's always a compact folder clipped to my pocket. But I usually just tear off what I need, using strips of material, & don't use a knife unless I my fingers.
NARTraumaShears-zz-0063_b.jpg

I use a pair of EMT style bandage scissors kept in the removable tray of my loading box. I just put the strip over the muzzle, thumb start the ball, then lift up the long end of the strip, and snip it off just above the muzzle with the scissors. Is much quicker, and cuts cleaner and straighter than any of the knives that I had tried.

Last edited:
I have used knives attached to bags, neck knives and when in modern clothes a pocket knife, they all work when they are SHARP.

Unlike some I never cared for the Opinel's, definitely not PC.

Here is a painting of interest.

Neck knife.jpg

I like simple, and Old Hickory has always filled my needs, from processing game, cutting patches, chopping vegetables, and the list goes on....and the same for Tramontina machetes....

Last edited:
I made one from a short piece of hacksaw blade when I was in high school. The cutting edge was recessed so it wouldn’t accidentally cut something it shouldn’t. Once I had it mounted in the handle I kept it very sharp. I probably still have it somewhere.

I bought a dandy little patch knife at a gun show a while back. Its a custom job in a sheath with a leather strap that goes around your neck. I've been using it for years and I've yet to sharpen it but it will still shave hair off your arms! Only has about a 2.5" blade and about a 3" handle.

I like simple, and Old Hickory has always filled my needs, from processing game, cutting patches, chopping vegetables, and the list goes on....and the same for Tramontina machetes....
Old Hickory used to make some solid blades. Maybe they still do but haven’t seen any for sale lately. I Still use them for cutting meat.

Webb's book on Southern Mountain gear mentions hoof knives and straight edge razors being used as patch knives. I made both from modern metal and wood and antler scales. Both work well for me and look old.
aws7.jpg
IMG_3365.JPG

Latest posts

Back