• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditions trapper?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz75

32 Cal
Reaction score
How is the quality of the Traditions Trapper? I am considering one to go with my Hawken rifle in 50 caliber, as I want to start participating in local matches this year if possible. It is a choice between the Trapper and the Lyman Plains pistol. Thanks.

i love the .50cal. traditions flintlock i bought.
the set trigger feels great and it is far more accurate than i am. it throws great sparks and has never misfired. use the fffg in the pan.
i shoot the real bullet and maxi ball in it with 30grn fffg.
never tried it with a patch/ ball configuration.
i had to cut a slot in the rear of the leather wrap to let the flint go back to the screw threads to get the flint the right distance.
i love the finger extension off the trigger guard as i use the middle finger to hold the pistol while i'm positioning the trigger finger. some
don't like it for their various reasons but i'm glad it's there.
there are plenty of different options out there and i'm sure there will be others addressing your questions
all in all i'm happy with my purchase.

Not sure if they still have any, but you might want to check with Deer Creek. They were selling what they call the American pistol. This is the CVA Mountain Pistol and is a holdover from when Deer Creek Bought out CVA's inventory. I bought one 2 years ago and at that time they still offered both flint and percussion for a great price (kits).

Love my traditions trapper . I did have to replace the frizzen (free replacement from traditions) and play with the lock and play with the fit of the barrel. But it was easy and is very reliable and shoots well.

Not sure if they still have any, but you might want to check with Deer Creek. They were selling what they call the American pistol. This is the CVA Mountain Pistol and is a holdover from when Deer Creek Bought out CVA's inventory. I bought one 2 years ago and at that time they still offered both flint and percussion for a great price (kits).
looks like all Deer Creek has is just parts and accessories, no more complete guns or kits.

As bore_butter said above, my Trapper, a percussion, is more accurate than I am and the trigger guard is very helpful and comfortable. Mine needs a quick swab between shots to maintain its accuracy. Don't know if it's just my pistol but I've never read anything about it from others. Haven't used the Lyman Plains pistol but it gets great reviews. I'm pretty sure either one would meet your wishes.

Jeff

I saw one of these, percussion, this past Saturday at a small swap meet. From a distance I thought it was a t/c patriot. Got closer, realized it wasn't, checked the price, $150, and walked away to ponder it. I have a patriot and the traditions hadn't been cared for very well, so I passed on it. Reading the comments, maybe I should have made an offer?

looks like all Deer Creek has is just parts and accessories, no more complete guns or kits.
I tried calling but they are closed until Jan. 29th. But may be worth calling. Looks like they have all the parts, so they may have the kits also.

I acquired a Trapper as a very generous gift from a friend last summer and I really like it. I Installed a 5/8 x 5/8 English flint from TOTW. I had to use a thinner piece of leather to get enough clearance, but have had a couple shooting sessions with it without a single misfire. The hooked breech makes it a breeze to clean.

While I don't have the Trapper model, I am satisfied with my Kentucky pistol. So from purchasing a Traditions firearm standpoint, I recommend.

I have the Traditions Trapper in both percussion and flint. Great pistols, good balance, very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I also just acquired the Lyman Plains pistol in 54 cal. Haven’t shot it much. If you’re looking for either at a good price I believe muzzle-loaders.com has both in stock now.

Michael

You can't, won't, will not go wrong with the Plains Pistol. Sounds like the Trappers are great too. I love my Plains Pistol, would not sell it or trade it for anything. It is insanely accurate, although this pic was taken when shooting a mix of different loads and projectiles. So...there's a vote for the Lyman plains pistol.
ppwt.jpg

Back