• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper Pistol 4-H build #2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbif

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Another year and a new project. A few of you might remember my Traditions Hawken rifle build last year. This forum was a great help for building my first rifle. Here's the thread incase you want to check it out.....
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/207260/fromsearch/1/tp/1/

I will be building a Traditions Trapper pistol kit this year. Feel free to comment, give advice and what not. As last year went, I'm documenting nearly evreything for my 4-h project which eventually gets judged at the fair. Soooo........

Got a little brown box in the mail today, From the Kittery Trading Post. I ordered it on tuesday night, very fast shipping from these guys (Thanks Kittery!) Layed out the parts and went through the check-list to make sure evreything was there. Looked good so started on the lock assembly. Will post more pics later, stay tuned :v

1zybswy.jpg

2v0jwa8.jpg

rl9end.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure wish there had been something like that when I was in 4-H. Of course, they were just inventing black powder back then!! LOL.

Seeing that box of parts brought back pleasant memories of the frustration and joys of building my own Trapper a few years back. Now that you have some kit building experience, the Trapper should go easily for you. I encountered a few fitting problems, but they were easily solved.

Best of luck to you on your build. May the gun bring you as many smiles when you shoot it, as mine brings me!

Thanks for poting that link Zonie, got all my awards on my wall, the clock on a shelf and the rifle in it's locker. Shot it last sunday, wasent the best grouping at maybe 25yrds(6-8in) but it was probally because the advisor limited us to 50grns(low on powder). I can do a 4inch group with it though at 50 yrds with about 70 grns.

I would say if he keeps this up you master builders may want to step aside soon. :rotf: nice write up and pics hope you place high again but with you past knowledge and experience you will most likely have a better gun then the last time this round. Now ya know ya set the standard last year so ya got to beat it this year. By the way keep this up and you may just become a master builder and or a muzzleloader writer reviewer.Good luck and glad the have things like this still for young people

Thanks, I wont be able to go to state this year because I won last year but can still win county.

I started on the lock assembly last night just to get something done. I had to do alot more than on the hawkens rifle on the lock area. I had to remove a whole little section of wood where the lock screw comes through and make some room for some of the internal parts.

here's the stock to start with
10xrcia.jpg

here's the stock when done so you can see(maybe) the diffrent areas I had to enlarge.
r01frr.jpg

here's that little bit of wood that was in the way, I just removed the lower half of it
2s6u0k3.jpg

I busted out the dremel, dont worry though it's fixed speed and very slow, I do have a nicer one but dont want to risk messing anything up. This dremel's mistakes could just be sanded out it's so weak.
mawllg.jpg

Some internal parts preventing the lock from fitting.
sqowgo.jpg

just a bit of wood sticking out I hade to file down.
dbs3m.jpg

and last this is to show the diffrent areas I worked on
8wjrjc.jpg

trigger assembly is next!

Eric, it's good to see another project in the works, I enjoyed following your first. Remember to go slow,think it through, and enjoy the process. I'm working on a .62 cal smooth rifle and hope to get some pics up soon, got the barrel,oct to round, almost in as of now. Keep up the good work and post regularly, good luck with the project. Wild Eagle

Nothing like a relaxing sunday in the basment carving away on a stock :rotf: Got some more work done today, got the trigger assembly and guard to fit........

of course it dosent fit
nwdd91.jpg

amount to take off
30iak40.jpg

busted out the dremel
2ugzzhe.jpg

there we go!
dzwh3q.jpg

guard was too long
2zizioz.jpg

ammount to take off
28tkox3.jpg

the dremel again
6sz56v.jpg

fits pretty good after slighty bending the guard
2cei3rt.jpg

drilling mounting holes
2pb3s.jpg

so far it looks like
fdybo1.jpg

and started a bit on the nose cap(dremel again)
i3vq6v.jpg

Nice pictures and nice job on the pistol. Do you know what kind of wood that is? It doesn't look like maple. Maybe beech?

bioprof said:
Nice pictures and nice job on the pistol. Do you know what kind of wood that is? It doesn't look like maple. Maybe beech?

not really sure :hmm: online it just says hardwood stock?

My goodness son, you'll be done in no time with this project! It is lookijg fine so far. I'm not doubting your ability with the dremel. But more traditional tools give a different feel in the fabrication of a BP firearm. I'm not knocking your use of the dremel, just offering another approach to the experience. I also like your way of showing the build, the pics are great and progress in a natural way. Keep up the good work!!

Looks like good old European beech. Long considered a great stock wood there, especially for guns that will see hard use.

yup...Beech it is.

Be careful with that Dremel...they'll cause extreme misery in a hurry... :shocked2:

Got the bluing done and the barrel assembled.
before and after shots.......

25g6s60.jpg

168snsk.jpg

2ilem4l.jpg

2wqs4k7.jpg

259hkxc.jpg

It is always nice to see a young man share his interest with us old farts :hatsoff:
I do believe we are witnessing the growth of a new up and coming gunsmith! :applause:

rcbif said:
bioprof said:

not really sure :hmm: online it just says hardwood stock?

Traditions stocks are beech. It's an easy wood to work, which is good cuz their kits need quite a bit of fitting. I had some trouble getting mine to stain evenly though.

It looks like you ran into all the same issues that I did when I built my Trapper. I learned a lot from mine and would love to build another to see if I can do it without making any mistakes this time.

Thanks for sharing your build. It brings back some pleasant memories and will come in handy for other members who want to build a Trapper.

Got to work some more on this thing the past few weeks, Been busy finishing up school, yesterday was my jvs graduation ceremony. I fit and screwed in the trigger assembly and lock and tried it out, no luck. At first it would barley click and would not set(the lock) I adjusted the rear screw until it would stay put in the diffrent positions. I then followed the manuals instructions for adjusting the hair trigger. The set trigger still isnt working. With the lock fully cocked the set trigger wont budge but the hair trigger does release the lock.I also made sure the lock was functioning with it off the gun and it appears it is, going into the diffrent groves like it should. Any idea whats going one here? I'd hate to have to make a trip out to the log cabin shop with the price of gas, any help appreciated.

maybe the screw(s)holding the plate to the stock could be back off a bit as it helped mine doing that . also will it fire with out stting the back trigger? will the rear set trigger work with out the lock cocked? From reading I take it every thing works okay out side the gun stock. so maybe the inletting ( some wood in the way), spring, a twist in the trigger plate,Just some Ideas from things I have ran into in the past on some guns I worked on. may be a pic or two of it will help show us better so that some one can jumb in and help ya out

Back