• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky smoothbore build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in David Thompson Country and hunt and trek in areas he travelled along the North Saskatchewan and Brazeau rivers. Many of these areas are accessible by foot or horse only and really haven't changed in the last 200 years. (no human disturbance, logging oil and gas etc). I really want to get a nice trade rifle that would be correct for the time he travelled this country but right now that's not in the cards. Looking at Rob's builds I am so envious! I have never met the man but from his posts and his responses to my questions he seems like a real down to earth fella that can appreciate anyone's efforts to try and get themselves shooting, what I call a "run what ya brung" kind of guy. I don't have his skills to build from scratch and the dollar exchange for us Canadians, and shipping kills us even more. So anyway enough chat. I have made a few posts in the smoothbore and flintlock forums as I was trying to figure this out so there's more of the story there. Basically, I bought a traditions Kentucky percussion kit relatively cheap here in Canada. I already had a Kentucky flintlock, but it was a factory built rifle with blued barrel. I took the percussion barrel from the kit and browned it up real nice and used the percussion lock with it to covert my old Kentucky to a percussion 50. It's done and shoots like a hot dam. I ordered a 7\8" Octagon barrel with the last 4" round, in 54 cal smooth from Colrains. I have the breech plug fitted and fitted to the stock, tang cut and shaped and drilled, and the barrel, lock trigger and trigger guard all fit. Some sanding to fit the butt plate and bits as well. I left the nose cap off as the octagon part was a little short, and I like the look of the trade rifles without the brass nose cap. I have the barrel tenons marked and next step is to file in the dove tails and solder on the front site.
IMG_4185.jpg
IMG_4233.jpg
IMG_4236.jpg
IMG_4240.jpg
IMG_4184.jpg

I also took the brass spacer out from between the two pieces of the stock and pinned and glued it into one piece. You can see the thin black line from the epoxy. My "story" is that I had a wreck along the Brazeau with the horses and the stock got broke. Repaired it with some nails and pitch glue!

Looking good. I wanted to build a kit rifle but knew that would never happen right now. Bought a build Hawken from a member here instead. Loving that rifle. But someday I hope to build my own.

Looking good. I wanted to build a kit rifle but knew that would never happen right now. Bought a build Hawken from a member here instead. Loving that rifle. But someday I hope to build my own.
I built a TC Hawken back in 1988, it is still one of my favourites. I’m excited to get this one shooting. Hope to get a deer this fall and a turkey next spring. Also some grouse this fall.

Well I’m at a bit of a quandary. I checked the location of the breech plug in relation to the pan for the touch hole location. If I just drill a touch hole like Rob does I will be just in front of the breech plug. If I drill and thread the 1/4” vent liner like I planned I will definitely be hitting the breech plug threads.

Well she's done. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Will likely build a new all wood tapered ram rod though. I just used the 2 ends from the Traditions one and used a new dowel. I drilled and tapped the flared end for a patch jag/bullet pulling screw/worm. I don't know why Traditions doesn't have one tapped end! Will head to the Range tomorrow or Friday and hope it goes bang.

Attachments

• IMG_4262.jpg
    IMG_4262.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4263.jpg
    IMG_4263.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4264.jpg
    IMG_4264.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
Good job.

The original 1960 Alamo movie has a lot of rifles that look like that.

Nice that you have a way to grab the ramrod too.

Post up your range results.

Latest posts

Back