• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Tennessee rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one else shoot a traditions Tennessee rifle? I love mine I shoot 30 grains of FFg with a .015 pillow ticking patch and a .490 cast round ball from a Lee mold. Good for targets. Thinking of hunting with it this fall for deer. Thinking 80 grains of FFg should do nicely with same ball.

I used to have a Traditions Kentucky rifle and it liked 90 grains of FFFg pushing a .490 round ball. It would shoot a pattern and not a group with less down to 40g then it was accurate again.

80 grains is sufficient to be deadly, but find a load that the rifle likes. If you can, try different loads with FF and FFF, you will be surprised at the difference it makes. Shot placement is key with all ML Hunting. Keep your shots as close as possible and you will be successful.

I'd take one if they offered it as a smallbore. It's just the right size/length I prefer for smallbores (I like them a bit on the short side for handiness). There are .50s everywhere but not enough little peashooters.

There's already the Crockett for a .32. If they offered the Tennessee in .36 with the same short barrel it has now, I'd buy one.

I like the looks of them. Does it have a patent breech or is it direct drilled?

You need to find the load that works best for you. As far as raw charge my 42 inch .50 will pass through a deer at 60 yards breaking backbone or two ribs on the way with a 60 grain 3f charge.

I have two tennessee's flint and cap. They both shoot better than I can. I use 50 gr of 3F for targets never hunted with them. I've used 70 gr of 3F on trail walks and done well with this load including splitting the ball on an axe blade to hit two clay birds.

larryp said:
Hmm. Makes it even more desirable.
I have not handled the Traditions Tennessee rifle, so could well be wrong, but I believe all of the Traditions rifles I am familiar with used a patent breech.

One of my two .50 cal longrifles is a Traditions PA Longrifle with a 1 in 66" twist barrel. It likes 95-grs. of 3f. My other .50 is an early Lancaster rifle with a longer barrel and it likes 80-grs. of 3f.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dam

Back